Blow by

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

My engine oil smells like gas and i burn enough oil so that i have to fill it up 1/4 quart every few weeks or sometimes less. I heard that the gas in the oil thins it out. Im using 10w30 right now, should i use thicker oil? maybe 20w50? I plan on changing the piston rings this summer when i have time but for now what can i do? Is there any other problems or risks that i should know about with my semi bad piston rings?

When was the last time you changed your PCV valve? I had that problem a while ago, turn out my PCV valve was bad.

To check it, pull it out, and if it rattles, then it is good. If it doesn't, then you need a new one. They are $4-10

I have never changed it but. how does a bad pcv valve make my oil smell like gas tho? i hope it is the pcv valve cuz piston rings would be a nightmare for me.

ONe way your oil will smell like gas is if you rev the piss out of it while your just siting there then turn the motor off. All that extra gass goes by the rings and into the oil.

Hello. take a trip to 2 places.

Autozone and buy: REGANE? Spelling...anyway, put that in motor.

Take a trip to dyno to see your air/fuel ratio. If you runnign super rich, your going to wash the rings out, cause tons of wear and blow by will occur real quick like.

gas is a solvent, it kills the lubrication of the cylinders...too much and its metal on metal.

100k miles of wear in a week in bad cases.

Jeff

This is a Gas additive? it shows as acombustion chamber cleaner. how does that coat/fill worn parts? wouldnt that strip them?

Just asking to try an understand, as i may have the same problem

does it really work? like some of these additives ive heard of dont do a thing.heres more info for everyone else:
Pennzoil Regane
and according to this you put in in gas.??

I used this stuff one time in my engine. Its called Sea Foam. Its meant for storing boat engines in the off season, but my friends and I poured it into our inakes(open Tb and dump in(with engine running) the it should stall it self out. then you let it sit for like 15-20 minutes, and start the engine back up, and it'll shoot all kinds of shit out the exhaust and smoke out the neighbor hood, and our engines ran better and smoother after doing this.

ive heard of the sea foam, but im pretty sure you dont just dump it in while the car is running, ive heard of letting it drip in slowly.

Back