Blown diode, ACK!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

I have a pretty nice subwoofer setup in my 89 CRX DX (i think so) but lately my "6 Channel Electronic Crossover" blew a diode and I cannot find out what kind it is (previous owner didn't know squat about wiring). The controller says "Precision Audio Hot Shots 6 Channel Electronic Crossover" The diode has no writing on it and I cant seem to find a diagram of the board anywhere online to find out what kind of diode it is. Does anyone have the same or similar thing, or know where to find a chart? I can take some pictures of it later today.

Thanks,
Scott

Precision Audio is a pretty inexpensive brand of electronics. You could probably pickup that crossover new on ebay for about $40 or so. One thing you have to remember when repairing electronics is that sometimes, it's cheaper and easier to replace the whole thing instead of one part.

Diodes are about.....20 cents, if that. But getting part numbers from those compaines and tech support is near impossible.

Are you using just the subwoofer output, or are you using it as a true 3 way unit?

Ok, it might be easier than you think to find. Hopefully you have some electronics knowledge. If you can locate the diode on the board and the traces to it, figure out if they go to the power input. If that is it, hopefully it is just the reverse current protection diode. If thats it, it just keeps you from accidently blowing the unit up if you hook it up backwards. Look at the size of the fuse on the crossover, then go to RadioShack or a hobby store and find a rectifier diode that has the same amperage rating of the fuse or higher. Install the diode in the SAME direction as the other, there is a white line on the diode to indicate which side is which.

The diode has no writing on it, I took it to an electronics store and they couldnt figure out what kind it is. I am only using the subwoofer output, not all 3. The previous owner did all of the wiring, and pretty crappy at that.

Thanks,
Scott

If the diode is used for what I said above, you can go to radioshack, buy the part and replace it with the same or higher amperage rating. In that particular case the diode type does not matter as long as it is a standard rectifier diode. Can you take a picture of it for me and circle it with ms-paint so I know what you are talking about?

Originally posted by utn@Jan 2 2005, 09:01 PM
Here it is.
http://www.pbase.com/grassyrex/frizzled

I know that the resistor is blown next to it, I'm sure its because of the diode, it blew before, I replaced it and she fried again.

Can you help me?
Thanks,
Scott
[post=440273]Quoted post[/post]​

It's not a diode. It's a 4amp NPN switching transistor (2SD882 to be exact). You also need a 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistor.

Thanks for the info, I bought a new transistor and I'm going to put it in today... hope it works :D *crosses fingers*

-Scott

Back