Blue screening...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
This has been doing it for a while, my desktop which is a dell... a 6 year old Dell, running Windows xp.

It'll freeze then blue screen saying "Kernel_stack_Inpage_error"

What the hell does this mean and how do I fix it? The only thing that doesn't work on this computer is the dvd/cd burner. The door won't open.

Could my HD be taking a shit? I did have a problem with it not finding my HD a week or so ago upon turning it on until I rebooted it.

Try defraging the HDD. Also if it's 6 years old and never had a re-install it might be time.

It it hasn't had a fresh install in 6 years I'm willing to bet your registry is a junk yard full of sharp objects. Registry cleaners are a joke. Sometimes its just best to backup your important stuff and get a fresh install. Get rid of all of the fragments that the defragger misses, etc.

Hold the windows key then hit R. Type regedit and hit Ok. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

Now, make a DWORD value named 'CrashOnCtrlScroll'. Double click on the value and set it to 1. Exit regedit and restart your computer. To cause windows to crash , simply hold the right hand alt and press the scroll lock key twice.

I think he was demonstrating how easy it is for errant registry entries to shit up the box.

You definitely need a fresh install, but run a full chkdsk and/or scan the entire hard drive for bad sectors when you do. That error is usually due to a bad HD sector that happens to be in the paging file. If you're seeing bad sectors, the drive is failing. All hard drives have extra slack space that's used only to invisibly replace bad sectors so the system never has to see them. If you're seeing bad sectors after a scan, that means the extra slack is completely used up from many other bad sectors. So as soon as you see one bad sector, the drive is already significantly failing and it's time for a new drive.

I did google it, and when I read what the fuck it talked about it looked like Greek. I have no clue what this shit means so I thought I'd ask you nerds and let you flex your nerdy brains and then put it into lamens terms so my computer-illiterate ass could understand it. :thumbsup:

Problem 2: Free Anti-virus programs online? What, if any, other than the shit already installed on most computers do you use?

I need to put something on my netbook, its locking up now a lot. I have Ad Aware, but the version they have now doesn't seem to work as well as what I have on the desktop. If there is one you recommend I can purchase at the store, I can upload it to my mobile HD and use it from there.

usually related to memory, or your HDD is preparing to take a shit on you.

see what i wrote above. this is not software related in the least. you reformat, go ahead, and you'll be posting here within a few days about the same error.

I read it. I could get a terrabyte HD for 140, so I might just replace it at some point. Not really sure I want to go through reformatting.

Re: antivirus... adaware isn't an antivirus. I don't run antivirus at all, but people generally say AVG is good.

Well yeah, but no. lol Only thing I have that is cracked is PSP7.

if youre looking for a new hard drive, id get a wd cavair black edition. best performing 1tb solution. if for storage, i say get their green edition. it spins between 5400 to 7200 depending. and yeah, formatting takes like 4-5 hours! wholey cow. but if youre really lazy and confident, you can just NFTS quick and itll do it like 3-4 minutes. difference is the slow way checks the drive for sector errors and such. i recommend doing it regular on the first fresh install and just quick for the rest of the time.

as for anti-whatever i run a combo of

paid:
-norton 2009
-ASS (adaware, superantispyware, spybot)

free:
-anti-vir
-comodo firewall
-ASS

anti-vir detection rate is top tier. only thing is itll pop up and tell you to buy the pro (no biggie) and you have to manually tell it what to do if it detects something. with norton, you'll never notice it. and with ASS, i consider it the "wholey trinity" because with the 3, you'll pick up just about everything and get rid of it.

Back