Blue smoke at idle on new install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BooDaddy

Ok all... I am a newb poster here, but I have a quick question.

I am getting some blue smoke from my exhaust at idle. Let me explain:
Stock B18b Integra, freshly installed generic T3/T4 turbo kit.

When the car warms up, we get a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust. I first thought it could have been the protective oil all the components are covered in burning off but that should have burnt off by now. Heres what happens:
1.-Car gets warm idling (normal temps nothing odd) --- get blue smoke from exhaust tip.

2.-Take car on highway, make a few PSI boost (nothing over 3-5 till we get the tuning done) and the smoke completely clears up. Car runs good never gets hot, there is quite a bit of lag, but I think its just tuning.

3. pull back in driveway, no smoke for a few minutes... then after a few minutes of normal idling, the blue smoke comes back, even after revving its still there.

some more stuff: the car doesnt make boost by revving in the driveway, we have to have it under a load on the highway for it to make boost. It also seems like once the car makes the first lbs of boost, the smoke clears....but then returns when the car is sitting idling.
The smoke seems to be a heavy blue smoke and doesnt smell like coolant, and not like rich/lean.

What could that be, and what should I check?

I dont think its a valve seal. the engine was running perfect before the kit with no smoke. We never pulled the heads, or even the valve cover during the install. Car even runs a good strong 20 inch vacuum at idle. We only took 2 weekends to do the install so there was not alot of downtime during the install.

The smoke was immediatley after we installed the turbo kit, and during the very first warm up idle. Weve only made 3 test drives with the car to be safe, and we never let the boost get above 5 psi using the boost controller and boost gauge. We have let the car idle several times trying to track down the smoke cause.

Im afraid to start the tuning process until the smoke issue is cleared up so we have been taking it very easy on the car.

Yeah im using the feed supply flange that has the built in restrictor from tunertoys.

we are also using 3/8 return line thats plumbed into a fitting welded onto the oil pan.

seal couldve blown when it saw boost.

when an engine idles and after a minute you hit the gas and blue smoke come out only at those times... its more than likely a worn seal...

OR you blew an oil ring on the piston

A guy i know had an ebay generic turbo on his crx. The oil seal went bad almost immediately causing the same problem you describe. He replaced it with a Turbonetics turbo with no issues since.

Dont think it could be anything related to the engine, due to the fact that the engine was running perfectly before the install.

The smoke came directly after the install. The smoke also started before any boost was ever made. I mean we literally installed the kit....started the car for the first time and let it idle.... we never revved it any. We let it idle on the first start to get warmed to operating temp, and as we were checking for leaks, we noticed the blue smoke.

It only smokes when idling.... once you take the car out and drive it, the smoke clears. But once you bring the car in, and let it idle, the smoke eventually comes back.

Also, it will not build any boost while parked in neutral and revving. I can jab the throttle a few times, and it will never make any boost. But once the car is on the highway, it will make boost, but its laggy.

it wont make boost unless it is under load. and it is most likely a bad turbo

Back