1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Sabz5150, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

Any of you use it?

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

too insecure. won't touch it

3. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

What secure data would you be running across it? It's not meant for that.

4. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Yes. I send songs via bluetooth from my buddies cell phone to mine. It works great.

5. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

What's a bluetooth?

Technology>me

6. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

New way of transferring data, mostly built into phones etc.

I'm purchasing the blue tooth headset, and its supposed to be pretty bad ass. No cords, voice dialing, and it works up to 100 feet away.

7. allmotord16rex

allmotord16rex Senior Member

I saw some guys on the Screen Savers that were showing the exploits of Bluetooth. They wrote a program in C I believe, they wouldnt give any info on the program, and were runnin it through a UNIX machine that would scan for Bluetooth cell phones and steal the contact names and phone numbers off of them. It was pretty cool, but like I said they wouldnt give any info on it so people woudnt try to copy them.

8. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

I use it to connect my palm to either my laptop or desktop. Bemused lets me control my XMMS (winamp for windows guys) playlists remotely. They have a client for mobile phones as well. As for my laptop, I'm setting it up to assist with wardriving. My palm will display all info that Kismet picks up and speech will come through a bluetooth headset. My friend put me on the idea of using Sphinx voice recognition along with it for extra control.

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

theres blue tooth remote car starters out there.

its too insecure.

10. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

Now that is a bad idea.

It's not much of an issue if you run data across it that isn't required to be secure. If you're concerned about someone bluesniping your phone, turn the radio off till ya need it. Most bluetooth devices like phones and PDAs will only accept one connection at a time so no worries while you're actually using it. Sniffing? That's always an issue with anything wireless.

Just be smart minded about it and you won't have to worry.

11. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

I have used cell phones with it, like the motorola 710, the bluetooth headset works great on it. It does have a security code between that and the phone, don't know how secure it really is though.

12. spectacle

spectacle Senior Member

the security code is only as secure as the hacker intercepting it...if they intercept all transmission between the two devices from the beginning of the connection, they will have the security code. then its only a matter of decrypting just like anything else. and last I check, the encryption strength of bluetooth is NOT that strong at all...I think something like 56 bit

13. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

14. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

It is awesome, my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth. I also sync my cell phone and my address book on my computer to it. I love it, as the range on my keyboard and mouse is pretty far, I can be in bed, or in my kitchen and change the song on my computer if I take the keyboard with me. I am super happy with it.

15. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

Neat lil flaw in obex push :) Seems that this generally targets mobile phones, why not, they're everywhere now.

If someone wants to snarf my laptop, let em go right ahead. It'll be sure to inform me of such a thing. Plus, if you're sniffing Bluetooth, you've gotta have a Bluetooth adaptor of your own. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. See you soon.

My palm also lets me know if it has been identified in a scan.

Agreed, Bluetooth is not as secure as I'd like, but steps can be taken to make it a bit tighter around the edges.

What we have here is a classic Microsoft-style fuckup. Providers turn everything on without any type of security. If the door's left open, someone is bound to walk in. Just like with WiFi, it's your job to lock your shit down. Don't expect to keep people out of your network leaving your AP at factory default.

16. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

bluetooth is dying. the new wireless usb standard will destroy it in the next few years.

17. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

Speaking of insecure...

18. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

I used it for a minute, but it was inconsistent with the connection. I like it around the house, but nothing more than a toy that got boring, besides I have no real use for it other than not having to carry my phone around the house or while driving.

19. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

I use it with my laptop on ngage. I use my ngage as a modem and i can go online anywhere my cell gets serivce. Its hella sweet but super nerdish. Works well if your within 30 feet.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted