bmw 325 i_s?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

INJEN78

HS LEGEND
well heres the final car..my bro just picked up a 1988 bmw 325 i_s
guy wanted $750 because he hadnt been driving it,but instantly we got him down to $600,and hes got money(has H2,boat,big house,,the whole shabang)so we go to look at it..there she is,a red bmw sitting under a tree,not drivin in atleast a year.there was this green shit all over the paint,guy says it just needs a battery,throw our battery in it,and starts right up,runs mint,take it hime and pressure wash it,paint is a little faded but still looks good,we fixed the minor suface rust,and overall the car is in good condition,,no dents besides the passengers fender,but thats getting fixed asap
so my question is,what goes wrong with these??info and all that is appreciated..
ive heard the timing belt should be replaced every 60k?

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 158
  • bmw2.jpg
    bmw2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 148
yea its got an inline 6...
but for the timing belt..is it a belt or chain??
cuz i have someone that will do it for free

Not sure on if it's a chain or a belt but you better make sure they know what they're doing or you're gonna have pistons hitting valves.

I love those old BMWs, my friend had one that he had setup for AutoX, not sure if it was the same exact car but it was pretty sweet, his would get sideways too.

Chain, and will be a bit more than 600 bucks...

BMWs really aren't that much harder to work on than Hondas, especially since E30s don't have VANOS to deal with. The parts are usually 15-20% more expensive but a lot are very comparable.

Highly important. Check the cooling system and replace the fan and fan clutch if not the radiator, too. Tell your brother not to put any money into cosmetics until he's done the required preventative maintenance.

And yeah, E30 and E36 prices are pretty similar so you guys got a smokin' deal. I was looking for one to replace my wife's DX hatch as the daily/beater car. Now, I'm spending the money fixing the DX at 300k miles.
whats the deal with the fan and fan clutch??
were doing full tune-up tomorrow
fluid change,plugs wires,and new coil.
the cooant light is on though,,so we think theres a thermostat problem.we added coolant and it didnt go away

Only use BMW coolant in BMW engines. Anything else can mess up the sensors.

The fan and fan clutch wear out with eventually allows the fan to literally grenade. When that happens it usually takes out the radiator, hoses, and puts a nice sized dent in the hood. Replace it with a thin electric fan and cut out the problem altogether.
so i have to go to bmw to get coolant??

The owner of Pelican lives in Westport CT. Well, one of the owners.

beamer is up for sale..parts are waaay to expensive,and i just dont have the motivation to work on it,,

beamer is up for sale..parts are waaay too expensive,and i just dont have the motivation to work on it,,

Are you interested in that trade at all ? As long as your car runs, thats all I need. You're walking away at a steal. I know what you paid for that, and I certainly know what I have in the CRX.

Back