Body get installation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

acolvard

Does any body know of any sites that have installation information on fiberglass body kits. I have purchase one and am a pretty good do-it-yourselfer. But this is fairly difficult. I have used several techniques and could fiberglass and sand, fiberglass and sand, but there must be some techniques that make this process easier.

Yeah, that and a whole lot of time and learning curve! I have learned a lot. I have realized that to fit the kit you must use some techniques to bend the fiberglass. I think many kits are molded then have a tendancy to bend as they sit making the sides wide or other line up issues. I don't really have any problenms with filling the gaps, it is more of the general fit issues.

ok take off your stock bumper and lay it next to your kit look at all the mounting holes.
do the same with the back
as for the sides you need 3m tape

I know how to mount it, but it doesn't exactly line up. for instance, with the back bumber I had to use bolts tweak the shape to get the sides lined up. I also tied the sides of the back bumber together to pull them in so they would mount closer to the side of the car. I have finally got close enough to finish, but I am wondering if this is normal.

did you use the side plastic mounts with two screws in them
and yes the bumper needs to be forced a little as for gaps you will need to fill with fiber glass

What you can also do if the mounting holes don't line up is fill in the given holes with a fiberglass kit and drill new holes to make it fit to you liking. Might take a few extra dollars, but you do gain experience and know-how from it.

Originally posted by acolvard@Dec 10 2003, 11:29 PM
I know how to mount it, but it doesn't exactly line up. for instance, with the back bumber I had to use bolts tweak the shape to get the sides lined up. I also tied the sides of the back bumber together to pull them in so they would mount closer to the side of the car. I have finally got close enough to finish, but I am wondering if this is normal.

Its aftermarket.. so yea..things arent going to line up right.. just have patience.

Back