Body work? How hard is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeyg323

I saw a 1991 Civic hatch 5spd, with a recent engine swap to a JDM 1.6L DOHC vtec engine, which he claims to be about 170hp. Says it has new front brakes and rotors,everything is new in the engine, (t-belt, waterpump, cam seal,crank seal, clutch). CRX seats, 17in rims. However. There is some minor rear quater panel rust. He is asking $4,000 obo but I'm going to try and lower his price because he seems kinda desperate.

well there are some minor bubble marks on both rear wheels area, the hood had been repaired but it does need a paint job. The pass side clear coat has peeled off. Here are some pics:

Alright so what do you guys think the extent of the damage is? Do you guys feel that its an easy fix up? What sort of questions should I ask him? Thanks for any input!

*edit* I would sell the rims and buy some 16's

Attachments

• YQR5159005.1.jpg
    YQR5159005.1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 269
  • YQR5159005.2.jpg
    YQR5159005.2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 274
  • YQR5159005.3.jpg
    YQR5159005.3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 249
  • YQR5159005.4.jpg
    YQR5159005.4.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 248
itll only have around 170 hp if its the ctr b16...the car doesnt look to be worth 4k...
the damage isnt bad and shouldnt be hard atall to fix

That guy is nuts to want $4k for it. I would pay between $2.5-3k at the most. Those rims look really dumb on it, I'm glad you'd sell them. In my opinion 16s would be too big for it even. Personally I'd go with some 15s, but again that's just me.

Fixing rusted quarters the right way is neither easy or cheap. What really needs to happen is for the rusted metal to be cut out and new metal be welded in, and then blended, sanded, painted, obviously...

You can do a temporary fix with Bondo and sandpaper but it will probably only last one winter...

Fixing rusted quarters the right way is neither easy or cheap. What really needs to happen is for the rusted metal to be cut out and new metal be welded in, and then blended, sanded, painted, obviously...

You can do a temporary fix with Bondo and sandpaper but it will probably only last one winter...

:werd:

That's why the car isn't worth anything close to $4k, unless of course you want a rust bucket.

Yeah it does Looks like a b16a possibly from an older si. Good engine but definitely not a 4k car. I'd offer 2500 tops. The actual value of that car stock is under 2k.

ill tell u what i have a 91 civic si and its rusty
and of all thing im a bodyman
10 years ive been doing this and there is no greater thing that rust on a honda of this year
the best thing to do is replace
ur in the states so i dont know if this will work for u but i ordered new wheel wells for my car they were $105 a peice but from experience
its the only way to go
i fixed a 90 dx about a year ago and i ground out the rust fiberglassed the rust and in 2 month it was back
since then i have replaced the quartes on that very same car at my expence of the labor
so if u do buy that car get a quote from a body shop on how much and deduct that from what the price of the motor is
because basicaly thats what ur buying

Ok thanks guys he said it's the b16 SIR, it's from a del sol he believes, in japan.
$1800 sounds good, I would even offer $2200 because the interior is pretty nice.
I am in Canada, btw.

im from canada to so
the motor is worth $1600 from jdm souce so and its already installed
if it doesn't trow any codes
and if its what u want to spend money on then hell ya
no more then $2500
where abouts in canada?

I'm from Saskatchewan. Honda/Acura cars seem to hold their value high here for some reason. But I dont think the body work on the car listed will require much. Thats why Im excited to go see it

that things a bucket my body is better than that and i got mine for 200 bucks (blown head gasket) theres cheap efs allover and with the money for that thing you can build your own and know everything in it

that things a bucket my body is better than that and i got mine for 200 bucks (blown head gasket) theres cheap efs allover and with the money for that thing you can build your own and know everything in it

Im not a mechanic or anything, I dont know how to build cars :( body work is something im interested in, but i dont have the tools.

dont be discouraged by everything they are telling you,the rust is an easy fix,,it takestime and patience,and as i said before its not a 4k car, people seem to think that hondas double in value,the car is worth no more than 2500

Yeah if that guy told me $4000 for that jalopie I would laugh in his face.

BTW INJEN whos ass is on your avatar?

dont buy that for 4k.
youll never know what the previous owner skimped on until its too late

find a nice oem MPFI model then do a swap from the same generation.should be around 4k. the swap is easy to do.

shit i bought a stock, one owner 99dx hb for 3.5k in almost mint condition with ac and all.

GL

dont buy that for 4k.
youll never know what the previous owner skimped on until its too late

find a nice oem MPFI model then do a swap from the same generation.should be around 4k. the swap is easy to do.

shit i bought a stock, one owner 99dx hb for 3.5k in almost mint condition with ac and all.

GL

lol i wish i could find a good deal like that here. I bought a '00 cx hatch w/ 130,000km for 6.8k

Back