Body work? How hard is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Man, it has been a while since I used the currency converter. US and CA money is almost the same value.

hey mikey, where abouts are you from..? Myself I am from Yorkton.. The rust is no big deal at all.. like the others said.. just do it right and take your time. If you rush, you will just keep going back and back.. interested in how much you get it for though.. I know the Hondas here are not cheap at all:| haha.. but ya no more than 2500..

I'm from Regina. No they aren't cheap at all. I asked on a civic forum before about my other civic and they all said overpriced haha.

haha ya, no bad civics here arent as popular.. well in some ways.. have to get most parts from the states:( haha shitty deal.. but what you driving now?

I got a 2000 Civic CX hatch auto as my daily driver, but I am looking for a project car to get started on for some racing. I found the EF shell with a engine swap already on it (and its standard) so thats why Im really interested in this car. He told me he wants at least 3,500 for it. Gotta keep hecklin' 'em down though haha

But I dont think the body work on the car listed will require much. Thats why Im excited to go see it

dont be discouraged by everything they are telling you,the rust is an easy fix

The rust is no big deal at all.. like the others said.. just do it right and take your time. If you rush, you will just keep going back and back...

Just wondering...why is it that you guys say the rust is no big deal? Like I said, the only real way to fix it is to completely replace the quarter panels (not cheap, especially if you can't hang the panels yourself) or to cut out any rusted areas and weld new metal in, then sand it, prep it, and finish it. That won't be cheap either. Even if you opt to replace the quarters, you're probably going to find some other rusted pieces underneath that should be replaced. If you can't do body work like this yourself, then you could easily spend a grand or two on de-rusting this car...

You can do it cheaply by sanding off the rust and then bondo-ing it up, but that's not a permanent solution. It will be back and probably looking worse in 6 months to a year...

That's why I say don't offer a lot of money for it. Even with that engine, the condition of the body is a major detractor from the value...

well rust is really no big deal.. nor expensive.. as long as you take your time.. your fine.
If you can weld, use a grinder, some tin snips or wheel cutter and have good feel in your hands your find. Really its cutting it out with tin snips or such, grinding smooth.. making a custom piece or gettin premade.. welding it in, fiberglass, bondo, primer and paint.. thats it..

Approx total cost before primer and paint (starting from scratch): Tools- $100-500, Metal- $50?, Fiberglass/bondo $100

So if you have or can borrow the tools, which is the pricey part your looking under $200.. just the time is the problem..

Bondo, cheese grate, bondo, cheese grate, sand, bondo, sand and on and on.. till complete.

I got a 2000 Civic CX hatch auto as my daily driver, but I am looking for a project car to get started on for some racing. I found the EF shell with a engine swap already on it (and its standard) so thats why Im really interested in this car. He told me he wants at least 3,500 for it. Gotta keep hecklin' 'em down though haha

Ya I have a 91 I am swapping in an H series, deciding on H23, which i have or H22 that I may pick up..

As a daily driver I am about to pick up another 91 Civic which i eventually want to put in a B16.

well rust is really no big deal.. nor expensive.. as long as you take your time.. your fine.
If you can weld, use a grinder, some tin snips or wheel cutter and have good feel in your hands your find. Really its cutting it out with tin snips or such, grinding smooth.. making a custom piece or gettin premade.. welding it in, fiberglass, bondo, primer and paint.. thats it..

Approx total cost before primer and paint (starting from scratch): Tools- $100-500, Metal- $50?, Fiberglass/bondo $100

So if you have or can borrow the tools, which is the pricey part your looking under $200.. just the time is the problem..

Bondo, cheese grate, bondo, cheese grate, sand, bondo, sand and on and on.. till complete.

No, I dont have those tools but my friend might. Hopefully he can help me out

if i were you mikey, I would just purchase a dead civic and build it.. you can do that for less than 3 grand with the same engine and such.

well if you want body work done, let me know.. you can look at the work I done on my car.. and it wont cost nearly as much as a shop..

Right, but all of that is assuming he's a competent welder, that he's good with sanding/blending metal and bondo/fiberglass work, and he can paint it himself. I'm just saying if that's not the case, then prepare to spend big bucks for rust repair.

I'd personally rather just start with a cleaner chassis...

hey man, I found the same car on used regina and I dont know what you got him down to but I got him down to 3 so far, mayb I can do 25 for you.

Haha yeah he told me 3 too. 2.5 would be cool, but even if I fix the quarter panel rust, I'm sure the car will be rusty someplace else. Which will just be more work, not sure if it's worth it or not but you never know :D

Haha yeah he told me 3 too. 2.5 would be cool, but even if I fix the quarter panel rust, I'm sure the car will be rusty someplace else. Which will just be more work, not sure if it's worth it or not but you never know :D

If there's rust showing on the quarters then I guarantee you that there's rust underneath the rear bumper and elsewhere...

well hopefully the rust wont be that bad.. but if the bumper reinforcment bar is rusted out, its an $80 fix. I know that was the most rustiest thing on my car.. but if he is still selling it next time I come down to Regina, I will check it out.

Those wheels are gross... They're too big it makes it look like it's got a lift kit wtf.

Back