Bodywork and paint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
well, the mirage will have its new hood and bumper on this weekend.

i've decided to paint the whole car, everything but the engine bay sadly.

1854_58604893.jpg

graphite grey pearl, with black lips. done deal.

car show/mirage meet i am attending in spartansburg SC august 11.

think i can do it? :)

i think you should paint the lips also. unpainted lips will just look unfinished.

how unfinished is high gloss black?

this will be pretty much the end result.

JDMmirage.jpg

unpainted "lips" for the win.

Also, that body needs SERIOUS prepping to get the effect with grey. Trust me, as a cat that painted his bright silver CRX dark grey (1995 Civic Horizon Silver with 5% cerulean blue and heavy pearl) it needs MAJOR prep. I did 2 wetsands and buffs and it's still not where I want it.

im not worried about it.

i've got my crack team of a few guys and girls that are going to go over the whole car saturday while i mock up brackets for evo seats and get the toser coils ready to go on.

Great. Send in the clowns.

I won't let anyone do it unless I've worked with them before, and approve their workmanship and attention to detail. Body work is more art than science.

i dont see how it could possibly get any worse ;)

since ive got two new front fenders, new hood, new front bumper... yeah.

Not a matter of "They can only improve it". Body work is HARD, and at the end of the day, it's good to see reward. You can go to a show can see a car with tens of thousands under the hood, or thousands in the stereo, or some fantastic thousand-hours custom metal work....

Then get to a part on the door where you see the light bend awkwardly and go "OOoooo... that sucks"

yea yea i know i suck at this i suck at that etc etc.

you gonna paint the inside of your door jambs too? if you are going to show it and get it judged, the judges arent gonna like the fact that the engine bay is gonna be red while the rest of the car is silver. what show you going to in South Carolina? if you go to any show, you should go out to Import and Truck Bash (importandtruckbash.com) in Indianapolis, Indiana held on August 17-19. awesome show to attend. this will be my 4th year attending.

please don't tell me this is going to be a 6 month long paint and prep job. i hate seeing cars rolling around with sand spots and bondo that never get painted.

that did not look ready for paint in those pictures. You have some serious creases and shit man. Like at least a good 20 hrs of body work from the pictures.

almost the whole car is straight now... lots of work was done on saturday.

nothing we can do about the roof though, not enough time :(

also dont let the pictures fool you. alot of the reflections and sanding marks look like creases.

Back