Bogging below 3800RPM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dasfinc

I have a 92 civic CX with a DX 16 Valve head, SI Cam, and P06 ECU, still have the old CX O2 on the car.

When I accelerate and hit about 4K RPM It pulls strongly very suddenly *Non Vtec head keep in mind* untill Redline. Could the O2 Be causing this? or is it possible the Header and exhaust are causing that much of a drop in power below 4grand? Just looking for clarification really.

New plugs/wires/headgasket/intake mani/intake mani gasket/ I/H/E*

Welcome to honda.

They have no power whatsoever before 4.5-5k. Thats just the way it is. High strung little motors.

I know they have little power before that kind of RPM, but this is more drastic than acceptable. I used to have a Taurus SHO and when the secondary intake butterflies opened up at 4K it busted out and held it until its 7K Red line, and its that same feeling right now. Its like I have 50hp and the SECOND I hit 4grand I have the 110ish my motor should be putting out. Small goals for a small car, but if you could feel it, you'd know something is wrong, its not even close to being linear. Before the head swap the power delivery was at least linear and puny. This is all amplified by the CX Transmission which under WOT Grabs at 3500rpm so its like hitting a brick wall each upshift... If anyone has a SI or EX Tranny to get rid of in IL I'd love to have a chat?

I get a Tuft of smoke on rare occasion, but thats from the last little drops of coolant being burned out of the system after the headgasket failure *I've changed the oil wice* and that hasn't been in like 2 weeks.

It smells pretty strongly of gas if you rev it in neutral at say a stoplight.
again, I 'assume' its the O2, but I've never had an O2 fail on a car before me that has hurt the power THIS badly. My SHO ran better when it ran pig-rich with a bad O2.

There is also an very VERY slight miss below 3800RPM as well, like if you hold the throttle at 2500rpm you can just barely feel a slight miss. Could it also possibly be the timing? Does timing become irrelavant at higher RPMS?

Ladies and Gentlemen!

It was a Compression leak :( Valves are most likely the culprit, Z6 Swap here I ... Am! haha!

Back