Bolt-ons for my B18A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LS/Vtecs are illegal in cali? lol that sucks for you guys. Isn't putting a newer motor into an older car also illegal? For example... 90-93 b18a1 into an 89 crx? Or is it the other way around? Too many stupid laws lol. I'm sure if you want to get really technical a lot of the modifications we do to our car are illegal.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 6 2005, 06:37 PM
Since this car is your daily driver that's even more of a reason to get a vtec head... reving to 8500 rpms is fun. Even after after all the porting and polishing an LS head isn't going to outflow a B16/GSR head. I just don't see a point in building up the LS head when you can just use a stock vtec head. A vtec head will own... simple as that.
[post=457184]Quoted post[/post]​

of course a vtec head owns, $400-$500 is more than $50-$100. but the ls head can make plenty of power too.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Feb 6 2005, 07:34 PM
of course a vtec head owns, $400-$500 is more than $50-$100. but the ls head can make plenty of power too.
[post=457195]Quoted post[/post]​

What do you mean by $50-$100? It's going to cost a lot more than that to build a head. The LS head isn't going to make shit for power unless you drop a bunch of money into it or boost the shit out of it... the cams are worthless. The head should be the first thing upgraded if you have an LS motor.

Originally posted by driverunknown@Feb 4 2005, 08:38 PM
How would the flywheel mess with emissions?
It would be nice if he could tune his car to pass emissions, and then tune it afterwards for power. And just have to different programs to switch back and forth from. Can this even be done?
[post=456720]Quoted post[/post]​

I didn't expect the flywheel to mess up the emissions, but when I decided to tone down the build, I wasn't sure a lighter flywheel was all that necessary. (Maybe I will still put it in.)

And I've thought of swapping equipment every couple years to pass smog but not sure I want to mess with it. This car really is my daily driver, and was never meant to turn into a project car. I already have one of those: 1981 Porsche 911SC.....thus my name 'pauls81sc'.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 6 2005, 04:51 PM
LS/Vtecs are illegal in cali? lol that sucks for you guys.  Isn't putting a newer motor into an older car also illegal?  For example... 90-93 b18a1 into an 89 crx?  Or is it the other way around?  Too many stupid laws lol.  I'm sure if you want to get really technical a lot of the modifications we do to our car are illegal.
[post=457189]Quoted post[/post]​

You have to have a later model motor than your car for example you CAn put a
B18B1 in a 89 CRX but you could not put a B18A into a 2001 Integra. Everything is illegal in Cali but you only have to worry about it every 5 years. I think this is my year to worry.

With a B18 I would be going P30 Pistons because your gonna get a high 10:1 or low 11:1 I was under the impression that CTR Pistons in an LS
is bad because the compression being so High would cause Misfires!!

Correct me if im wrong?

I will update you on my LS build here in the next month or so as to whether I pass smog. Here are my mods:

Block:
Crank: Stock
Rods : Endyn-spec Eagle long rods, courtesy of Calesta (Mike)
Pistons : Custom CP 81.5mm, raised wrist pins, extra light wrist pins
CR: ~ 11.5:1

Head:
DIY pnp with polished chambers
Rocket Motorsports Valve Job: Multi-angle intakes; Radiused Exhausts
RM Valvesprings
RM L21 Camshafts
Modded pr3 IM, portmatched to the ls head

I will also be ordering injectors, but have not yet figured out how big I am gonig to go yet. As for programming for obd0, I'll be using turboedit, as it is still supported, at least at the last time I checked. I am aiming to pass smog, and will tune two different chips; one for smog and one for the engine to run right :) I'll let you know how it turns out. I should be up and running by march.

Originally posted by Riceras@Feb 14 2005, 11:22 AM
With a B18 I would be going P30 Pistons because your gonna get a high 10:1 or low 11:1 I was under the impression that CTR Pistons in an LS
is bad because the compression being so High would cause Misfires!!

Correct me if im wrong?
[post=460713]Quoted post[/post]​

Not if your a/f ratio is good, and you are running high enough octane. A big minus is that you will probably have to retard your timing, and that is no good for emissions.

Rocket Motorsports

I'd definately work with RM. Robert Martin is a cool guy to work with. I dropped off my stuff at his place, and he showed me some of his secret project work and whatnot. He has a good job not related to engines or anything, so engine work is more a hobby for him, as it is for me; as a consequence, it is more of a knowledge seekng journey than a horsepower competition when it comes to building an engine. This makes it more fun for me, because I am not really in competition with anyon, just out to have fun. I think when you get into big companies like crower and skunk2 etc, it becomes more about the money, and the sport loses some of its personality. I'd rather have the fun of doing my own engine testing. RM is allowing that to happen for me. I'm getting pistons designed that I am pretty sure I haven't seen on anything but high dollar machines, and some cams that should optimize them. I did my own pnp on the head, so it should flow well. I will be running a "smog chip" to pass emissions, and then will have it tuned for the "not quite legal" parts I will be using after passing the test. A custom header and non-catted 'exhaust system', if that's what you want to call about 3 feet of 2.5 inch SS piping connecting to a Burns ultralite muffler, dumping exhaust under the car.

Back