Bolt-ons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMCIVICMAN1992

Hi, im new at this so please excuse some noob errors. i have a 1992 honda civic ex sedan w/ a jdm b16 sir2 and Gsr trans. i was wondering what bolt-ons would produce the most bang for buck considering im on a tight budget. i already have a k&n filter in stock airbox w/ removed resonator, magnaflow cat, and Apexi ws 2 exhaust. also have some suspension work done. a few pics of my car just to show what im working with. thanks

1992 Honda Civic EX

A header would be good to use. Also getting bigger exhaust piping, maybe 2 1/4''. Maybe getting an actual intake could help a little, but not much.

Thanks for the feedback, an intake is a possibility, but im alittle hesitant on a cai because of hydrolock, im very happy w/ my ehaust. a header is a possibility, but which one? what about a fuel rail or throttle body?

I've never had hydrolock issues with my CAI, and I'm not running any bypass. I do live in Cali though, so I don't routinely drive through >1ft deep puddles on routine. Not that I would do that anywhere anyway.

well idk, i live ithe the northeast and it can kinda nasty up here, i think i'll stick with the intake i have. any noticeable gains with a new header?

DC is a good header company, but there are tons to choose from. Go to horsepowerfreaks.com and look at the header selection. Fuel rail is not needed if you're near stock. The stock one flows pretty well. Throttle body doesnt really need to be upgraded either. ITR/CTR cams are better for top end, but GSR will give you over all better performance through the powerband.

You could find the slightly used for a couple hundred bucks. I don't think you need to upgrade anything else to run them on a b16, but I could be wrong. You could also upgrade to a gsr tb to get better throttle response, but its not really rquired either.

If you make me pick between those three, then cams. But you won't experience much gain from them unless you have a header and a decent short ram intake.

GOOD velocity stack (IB, prototype racing, BPI) + short ram intake
GOOD header RMF, SMSP, DTR. (800-1000+) whoops you said budget. umm, rage, highend, sparks, all decent headers for the price, give good gains. (~500), even cheaper is the JDM DC (~250), ok gains. imo, the DC is the best of the shitty headers. just get something better then a ebay or lower line DC headers. they are nothing but hype and only ive marginal gains.

my .02

thanks for all the feedback. for a header i was looking at megan racing or dc, and opinions on these. what exactly is a velocity stack and can it be paired to the oem intake?

Another good bit of information is to try to get your header ceramic coated or wrapped to keep your engine compartment cool. This will keep hp levels up. Heat is your worst enemy.

yeah, if you want something like that, id suggest a light-weight flywheel, it has pretty similar gains in power.

i havent read the entire post, so if youve already got a light-weight flywheel, just ignore this.

Back