Bolts..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok last question for the night, I have had so many problems snaping and breaking bolts I would really like to know the right way if there is one on loosening bolts? I try to get a feel for it but its not working and has cost me.

Umm How do you break so many bolts? I have broke one once, and that was on the cat because I overtightened. I just use a cheater bar if I don't want to jerk on it. And make sure you're always even on the bolt, not straight can cause many to break easy.

What do you mean even? I just broke my other steering rack bolt now I got two bolts that need to be drilled out and replaced. such a idoit I know but also what is a cheater bar? a breaker bar with alot of leverage?

A cheater bar is a ratchet with a longer pipe over the handle to give you more leverage (easier to break your bolts) spray break free on them a while before unbolting them.

Yeah, that's the correct word for it a breaker bar. I try to stay away from trying to rip off a bolt buy prying on it. I use a penetrating catalyst on bolts that don't want to come off. Then after about 10 minutes after spraying it on I go after trying to take it off again. I try to use swivel sockets for the hard to reach bolts so they are for sure even on the bolt. WHen I mean even, I mean that the socket is over one side of the bolt as much as the other sides. Worse problem I have ever found was when I broke 3 sockets and one 3/8 drive ratchet in one day working on a diesel truck, but good thing was life time warranty.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Mar 18 2003, 03:20 AM
Yeah, that's the correct word for it a breaker bar...

Actually there is a tool called a breaker bar,it is a socket tool like a ratchet,without the ratchet part.

Yeah, a cheater bar is a long piece of pipe that fits over your ratchet/breaker bar. Mine lives right next to my Sledge. I call them leverage and persuasion. :)

Back