1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolts..

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by enemycivic, Mar 17, 2003.

1. enemycivic

enemycivic Member

Ok last question for the night, I have had so many problems snaping and breaking bolts I would really like to know the right way if there is one on loosening bolts? I try to get a feel for it but its not working and has cost me.

2. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Umm How do you break so many bolts? I have broke one once, and that was on the cat because I overtightened. I just use a cheater bar if I don't want to jerk on it. And make sure you're always even on the bolt, not straight can cause many to break easy.

3. enemycivic

enemycivic Member

What do you mean even? I just broke my other steering rack bolt now I got two bolts that need to be drilled out and replaced. such a idoit I know but also what is a cheater bar? a breaker bar with alot of leverage?

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

A cheater bar is a ratchet with a longer pipe over the handle to give you more leverage (easier to break your bolts) spray break free on them a while before unbolting them.

5. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Yeah, that's the correct word for it a breaker bar. I try to stay away from trying to rip off a bolt buy prying on it. I use a penetrating catalyst on bolts that don't want to come off. Then after about 10 minutes after spraying it on I go after trying to take it off again. I try to use swivel sockets for the hard to reach bolts so they are for sure even on the bolt. WHen I mean even, I mean that the socket is over one side of the bolt as much as the other sides. Worse problem I have ever found was when I broke 3 sockets and one 3/8 drive ratchet in one day working on a diesel truck, but good thing was life time warranty.

6. enemycivic

enemycivic Member

7. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Actually there is a tool called a breaker bar,it is a socket tool like a ratchet,without the ratchet part.

8. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Yeah, a cheater bar is a long piece of pipe that fits over your ratchet/breaker bar. Mine lives right next to my Sledge. I call them leverage and persuasion. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted