Boost Creep with a HKS Standard External Wastegate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

S2000GOD

So I go down the road and get hard on the S2k... Notice I am boost creeping anywhere from 11-15psi (on a 7psi spring) from 7000rpm to 9000rpm (on race gas). I had the EMS hooked up and my tuner in the passenger seat when it did this... It shocked us both.... The motor held the boost just fine, no knock or anything... We checked the lines to the wastegate (no boost controller hooked up) and everything is ok...

Have any of you heard of HKS wastegates failing? It was fine a couple days ago, and then all of a sudden it does this...

Ideas?

B.

what are you doing with the exhaust from the wastegate? dumping to air or plumbed back into the exhaust?

If back into exhaust, how far down?
Do you have cat still?
what size wastegate?
What size dump tube?
What size exhaust?
What size turbo?

I'm sure you know this already, but boost creep happens when more exhaust flow to the turbo needs to be diverted than can be diverted through the wastegate.

It *sounds* like you're doing everything right. The only things I can think of:

1. Bad wastegate (somewhat unlikely)
2. Leak in tubing from pressure side to wastegate (this will cause boost spikes!!! Make sure your wastegate is securely connected to the pressure side so it gets an accurate boost reading)
3. Bad boost controller (if you have one?)
4. Poor wastegate placement on the manifold restricting exhaust gas flow excessively

good luck, hope that helps.

Back