boost levels changing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbovtec

Hey guys, I have a b16a with a turbonitics t3/to4e turbo and a log style manifold,rev hard, i think. After a couple passes on the dyno getting tuned, we made 297hp@8.5psi with a greddy profec b turned on. For some reason I was only boosting 6psi without it. (the spring was saposed to be 8psi) the turner made a few quick changes and ran it again it only made 274hp. so we let it cool off then ran it again and it made 294hp. so the turner said the wastegate spring could be weak so I bought a new one (9psi) so now with the boost controler off it boost's 8psi. but it seems like when the car is just warmed up the turbo spools alot better, and after i drive around the turbo doesn't feel the same. the car feels alot slow at lower rpm's. does anyone have any idea's? I don't know what to do.

sounds like heat soak to me.

what are you running for an intercooler?

and wtf is up with your power? you should no be making anywhere near 300 hp on 8 psi on a typical t3/t4

anyway-

what are you running for management? tuning? injector size? whats done to the b16? what kind of wategate? what kind of bosot aguage?

I'm running a stock long block 2nd gen b16a, hondata s200, rc 440's, 255 hp fuel pump, aem fuel rail and reg, skunk2 IM, hondata IM gasket. The wastegate is a tial 35mm I think. I don't know really how big it is. The turbo is a turbonetics stage III, i'm not sure about all the specs on it. I was told it had a .63 a/r. Intercooler is a specaro, it's about 19 inches long and 5 high and 3 deep. The weird thing is I noticed black spots around the head by the first cyclinder and I was able to move the ex. gasket. It's like the manifold is warped. so maybe this is my problem. The othe weird thing is that my greddy profec b will read 105 but the hondata is say 8.5psi. I have everything hooked up exactly as is says in the manuel. Could the controller be messup, I bought it used. thanks for the reply.

Can you please tell me what heat soak is? is it in the manni, or the turbo? I'm not sure what to do.

heat soak = turbo gets hot, makes th intercooler hot = makes hot air go intot he motor = less power.

heat soak has NOTHING to do with boost levels. pressure is pressure, whether its hot or cold.
however, the physical VOLUME of air is less, do it hotter air being less dense, and thats why you losoe power.

I also highly doubt your 300whp mark.
i made just under 300whp on 11 psi on a t67, on a 2L block.

8 psi off a typical off the shelf t3/t04e on a b16 should make about 225-240whp with awesome tuning.

something is up.

you're either spiking, the dyno is wrong, isn't calibrated correctly to SAE adjustments

Probably intake charge pipe, you can get some insulating wrap for the intake charge tube. thats what i had to do this summer. ambient temps above 100 degrees suck for power. The wrap looks like fiberglass fabric with aluminum backing.

well, you'r right the boost levels are not changing. it's just losing power. I don't know about the horsepower. I was only expecting 230-240. I do have an open down pipe, and the turbo isnt "off the shelf" when people ask what it is and i tell them a t3/t04e they're like thats big for a t3/t4. i dont know though. i bought it used, and it cam off a built ls/vtec. i was watching the tuner while he was tuning and my a/f was 11.8:1-12:1 with my 440's and they were at like 96% duty cycle untill he turned up the fuel pressure, and told me to get bigger injectors, so i figured the dyno was accurate. could my downpipe heat up the oil causeing the turbo to heat up. cause the dp and the oil return are pretty much touching. also oil is leaking from the bottom of the turbo. i have a pic but is say dynamic pages not allowed in IMG tag

Yes, I had the problem of too short of a return line that was 4-5mm away from my downpipe so I just went a got a longer return line. Also if your charge pipe out of your turbo runs right past your downpipe that will heatsoak it as well. I insulated both the downpipe and my charge pipe where it passed the downpipe and I had much better results with power staying in the heat.

well i cut the return line cuz i thought it was too long so i think you're right about that. how long should it be. when is was sizing the lenght if it was longer it was at less of an angle thats why i cut it.

Original return line was around 12", new one I cut at 15" that let it wrap around farther away, but be careful if you make it too long then the line will kink causing a restriction in the line.

Good luck,Jim

EDIT: also if your turbo is leaking oil at the flange to return line and its the oval type with two bolts, you can use the oil pickup to oil pump gasket from a '00 civic si b16.
Thats what I used and took care of my minor leakage.

wrap around?

:no:

you want the line as straight down as possible. remember, its only GRAVITY from the turbo down. there is no pressure in the return line.

hey, thanks for the help, i may seem like a noob but ive always been an n/a person, so i'm new to forced induction. but yeah thats the problem im haveing. my dp is 3inch so its kinda in the way. oil seems to be leaking out of that two bolt flange like you said but its also leakin out of the bottem bolt on the exhaust side of the turbo. Also is it possible that my intercoller isnt working properly and thats what is creating the heat soak. the whole kit was used but the turbo was saposely rebuilt like 1000 miles before i bought it. is there a way to clean out the intercooler?

If the intercooler had oil blown thru it, (Blown turbo seals) that will take the efficiency down a bit. If You want to clean it use some 90% Ethyl alcohol that you can get from a drug store,3 Bottles and cover both ends and shake, then rinse thoroughly with water,repeat if necessary (sounds like shampoo label).

gasonline works well too.

just be sure to risnse it out WELL with clean water, and let it air dry for 2 days.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 17 2004, 08:26 AM
gasonline works well too.

just be sure to risnse it out WELL with clean water, and let it air dry for 2 days.
[post=433625]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the help ill have to try that.

Back