1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boost

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Bobby17772, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

I was wondering, if you use a boost controller is it possible to turn it all the way down to 0 psi. I know I'm asking a weird question but I'm curious. I'm the kind of person that buys a project piece by piece, such as a turbo kit, and I was wondering after I get everything and install it just to make sure everything is hooked up right and just so I know it runs, I was wondering if I could make it create 0 or even 1 psi without the computer going nuts or going into limp mode. I was reading that the ecu can handle a very small amount of boost without modification but I just wanted to ask the experts.

thanks

2. efalex

efalex New Member

i think a stock map sensor wont go into limp mode... as in it can read i think up to 5psi or 10 im not 1000000% positive tho. look it up

3. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

I wouldn't risk it. Why chance fucking up an expensive project? Do it the right way the first time.

4. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

it's only because the closest tuning/dyno place around me is like 8 miles away and I don't really want to have it towed 8 miles but I'm sure I can get someone to do it for me

5. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Umm 8 miles isn't that far. Most people have to travel a lot farther than that to dyno tune their cars. Don't be so cheap, if nothing rent a U-Haul car trailer and use a friend's truck to tow it there.

6. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

just unhook the i/c piping to the intake and drive it like that thats what i did it works just fine. then hook it back up when you get it to the dyno place. rep if it helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

thanks, so have the whole exhaust side hooked up but anything leading to the intake side just keep it unhooked?

8. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

You cannot lower the boost pressure using a boost controller. By lowering I mean you cannot run a lower PSI than the wastegate spring is designed for.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted