boosted b16/b20 w. upgraded internals + stock sleeves.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Phenol312

So...I've decided to rebuild my stock b16/b20. I'm not sleeving the block but running with eagle rods, JE pistons, and going .002 over. I'm also using skunk2 stage 1 cams, springs, and retainers.

Previously, I was running 7psi (280whp/200tq) on the stock internals with the AEM EMS before a cracked piston ruined by day.

How much more power can I expect and what is the safe max boost level and rev limit with these parts? ive heard with the ARP rod bolts i can rev to about 8k.

Also, we all have heard about how the b20 has weak cylinder walls. People say this left and right but never substantiate it with evidence or numbers of failures. I'm looking to get past the regurgitated info thats just spread from forum to forum. I want to hear from people that are or have run b20 block with 10+ psi or have been making 300+ horsepower with stock sleeves and what their experiences have been.

i did...my builder says i should be fine...but hes only human and one of many, many builders.

as far as the books go...all i could find is some info on the siamese sleeve design honda employed but nothing specific as to why it is any weaker than a standard sleeve setup

i'm using a t3/t4 that came with the Drag turbo kit.

before i had the aem ems i was making 235/180 no boost changes just tuning brought me to 280/200

- A/R .63 (than garrett and m24 those are the only things written on the turbo)

standard cast manifold. stock b16 intake mani

fuel pump i have no idea...whatever is in the tank...never looked when i changed the gasket but i know i have an accessory in line pump...not hooked up at the moment and i plan on removing it and going to a walbro 255

AEM fuel pressure regulator

Tial wastegate (no idea on size)

The injectors are going to be upgraded probably to 550cc or larger (maybe 880s?). 310s were maxed out awhile ago

intercooler is damaged so thats being upgraded to a 600hp precision unit

And I am gonna worry about it because once the shop has my money they could care less what happens. Minute the engine leaves their shop its my problem. Now I was told i don't have to sleeve to get 350-400whp. I can't seem to get any secondary opinions from anyone...some people say sleeve it others say ill be fine. Neither can provide a good argument as to why sleeving is/is not needed.

Back