Boosted B18C1 into 89 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

T!mmy

New here and hopefully I can get some good help and we can build my crx I just recently purchased to run VERY impressive times.

Alright...I want to swap a B18C1 into my 89 Crx...Now I have a couple of months before I have enough money to swap (I'm going to save up around 5k atleast, but willprobably be more...much more) so in the mean time I would like to find out every bit of info I can about the swap and the parts I will need. I would like to learn it well enough before I begin to seriously start looking to order that I could pretty much do the swap step by step in my head. If someone who has done this can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on doing a write-up before hand and then do a step by step along with pics when I actually do the swap. But like I said I need y'alls help to do it good.

Now as far as the parts go I want to be able to know specifically what parts I need and shit. I'd like to build up the engine as strong as possible for boost because the way I want to do it is save enough money to get the engine swap, build up the engine as well as possible for boost, and boost it. (like I said...much more than 5k) and then when I have all the parts...THEN swap it.

So let's see where we can take this.

89 crx si
b18c1
turbo

Thanks all...
Brian

Also what's everything that you can do to an engine to build it up for turbo? From what I've been reading the B18C1 is one of the best for a turbo. But I want to replace anything and everything to build it up the best/reliable way for turbo. That was the reason for making this thread. I figured I wouldn't get much of a response at first until I really got into what I am asking about. What I would like to do is find like a non-working B18 for cheap and then build it up, because some of the parts that I'd be replacing would be in good condition and so I would just be wasting money.

Thanks all
brian

Originally posted by T!mmy@Dec 17 2004, 11:21 AM
I figured I wouldn't get much of a response at first until I really got into what I am asking about
[post=433618]Quoted post[/post]​

this is about the only response you're going to get at all.....

SEARCH
<_<

how much power are you trying to make? what's the primary use of the car? Is 5grand all you have to get the motor and turbo?

well I want it to be very reliable...no I have more than 5k...like I said I understand I will be spending more than that. Not sure on how much power wise. I would like to run in the 11s though.

Here is what I am wanting to figure out. I want to build the engine up the best way for boost. What I was thinking is finding a fucked up GSR from a junkyard or something just so that I could mainly get the block and what not for the engine really cheap (if I plan on replacing all the internals...would just be a waste of money to buy a properly working one)...Anyways...what kind of internals do you go about replacing for boost? Money is not an issue...if this takes me forever so be it. But I love the CRX and I want it to be incredibly fast.

I guess I am wanting some opinions/guidance on what I should do with the B18C1 to make it fast and reliable with a turbo. But I do not want to cut any corners and get cheap.

first thing go to hasport.com and look around for wiring harness linkage and mounts... this is the best place to go and get info about necessary items but its not the cheapest.... seems like you dont know much so buy everything for the swap so the shop doesnt sell you things you dont need THEN go to the reputable shop and have them install... after that; get tuned and then think about a turbo...and do alot of searching read the FAQ on this forum
Good luck you will spend most of the 5k before your up and runing...shit happens
my 2c

as far as turbo
forged pistons/rods low C/R$500 +/-
Sleve block$700+/-
get a good manifold lovfab.com fullrace.com $1000+/-
Fing a T3/ T4 $600+/-
all necesary lines and fittings $200+/-
moroso oil pan item # 20910=$249.21
ECU upgrade AEM...Hondata...microtech....you choose $1000+/-
injectors $400+/-
FMIC$500+/-
BOV$200+/-
Down pipe/exhaust $600 +/-
this is all average depending on brand and $$$ limitations

thanks man that's exactly the info for the turbo I was looking for...question though...I love skunk2 shit...they have an ecu would that be good or would y'all not recommend it?

and I have a little bit before i swap the engine...and in that time I will learn everything I need to know about swapping...I want to do everything on this crx on my own...Besides there are several sites about swapping a B16 into a crx so...should be damn near the same. thanks man

plus we the addition of y'alls help I should be able to make it through..I've done other engines...this is jsut the first import.

a standard T3/T4 is not going to get you into the 11's

to get enough power to get you into the 11's, you're gonna need at least a T60-1 or a T3/T67 like brian had, otherwise you'll have to run stupid high boost pressure and run the turbo out of the it's peak efficiency

less pressure, more cfm

you dont think that would make 11s? just saying I mean I have no clue I'm just curious but dont forget it will be going into a crx... I mean I like the idea of the bigger turbo anyway...I was just curious

a t3/t04e with a 60 trim T04E compressor wheel might be sufficient, but why go with a smallish turbo and run it nearly out of its efficiecy when you could just run a larger snail, and keep it deep in it's efficieny range, also keeping boost pressures down

lower boost levels mean less stress on the engine components, and less pressure means less heat in the intake air- shit brian made nearly 300hp at only 11 psi off his t3/t67

and i don't know if you're going to run slicks or not, but to get into the 11's you'll have no choice- you'll never make the power you need to get there and still have any grip whatsoever, so add them to the list

Back