1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boosted d16y8?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Jdmfosho, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Jdmfosho

Jdmfosho New Member

i have a d16y8 in my 99 civic right now and i was thinking if i should swap it for a b16 or something or if i should boost what i got now and build that some because i know it would be cheaper but wasnt sure what to do. any suggestions?

and something else i noticed that my gears are pretty short compaired to my friend integra ls and was wondering if there was anyway of making my gears longer? mybe a different transmision?

2. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

What are your goals and what is your budget like? Lets start there first.

3. Jdmfosho

Jdmfosho New Member

welll i would be a daily driver.. so for now im probably going for a mild build lookin around 300-350 hp
    budget i would say is mybe say 3 grand? not sure exactly im not looking to buy everything right this second im saving monney for what i want to do.

4. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

D-series sleeves are able to handle up to 250hp with a good tune. Anything after that and you will have to sleeve the block. It will be good up to 400hp after that. You could piece together a kit for less than that and boost it, getting around 230hp or so to make things safe or you could try and find a complete B-series swap. Mind you it is going to cost you quite a bit to get it put in.

You could also find a B18b and boost that. I have found entire swaps for less than $700.

5. Jdmfosho

Jdmfosho New Member

okay thanks ill look into that
    thanks for the suggestion
    adn the information about the sleeves

6. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

Re-sleeving the block seems to run somewhere in the neighborhood of $800-$1200 by the way. If you swapped out to a B18b and boosted that you could achieve your goal a lot easier and without having to sleeve the block. Just a thought.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted