Boosted f22a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by defajardo@Jan 3 2004, 12:33 PM
hey the f22a is PERFECT for boosting (8.8 compression). F22's have iron sleeves so 7-8 psi wouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you top end is in good condition. I suggest you check out this site and their turbo kits (TSI turbo kits) b/c it would be perfect for what you looking for.
I'm actually going to be purchasing their kit very soon for my f22a.

https://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/p...ub=Turbo%20Kits

there is a guy on www.cb7tuner that has one

Hey Let me know.. when you need a new engine! So i can laugh of course.. Keep telling yourself it will be ok. Unless you plan on running Very low boost under 5. have upgraded injectors and possible fuel pump. I know im going to get an ear full for this but.. learn from those who have been there done that!

so what your saying is you were boosting around 8 psi on stock injectors?...and you wonder why you shit blew up? did u have an fmu or anything

well the fmu is only gonna put more fuel pressure to the injectors but they will only spray the amount of fuel they are rated for....i dont doubt that you blew your mtor up within a short period of time but what im saying is given the right parts that motor could be boosted safely at 7 psi all day long

Thats very true... but what kit offers that! And Honestly do you think hes going to do it??? The website dude gave didnt come with anything? And after u spend 2500 on a good turbo setup.. you could have bought your self a h22 with a built bottom for the one day u can afford to turblow it!

s3ffe31519c423.jpg

i said nothingto the note of whether he or anyone will or will not do it i just said it can be done and 2500 will not get you an h22 with any sort of well built bottom endim sorry...im not trying to argue here, only stating facts that is all

Originally posted by driver1@Jan 8 2004, 11:43 PM
i said nothingto the note of whether he or anyone will or will not do it i just said it can be done and 2500 will not get you an h22 with any sort of well built bottom endim sorry...im not trying to argue here, only stating facts that is all

Yeah that true in a way. You could always use oem pistons say off the type S.. and just get a set of eagle rods! That would do the trick.

I wasnt saying the motor would be sleeved.. with JE pistons and the works. Just more of a motor that would be some what safe under moderate boost levels. Obviously you know your limits on the H22 when you dont sleeve it knowing they arent the strongest stock!

Originally posted by driver1@Jan 8 2004, 11:29 PM
well the fmu is only gonna put more fuel pressure to the injectors but they will only spray the amount of fuel they are rated for....

not really true...

injectors are rated for XXXcc's at stock rail pressure (around 40 psi)
and fmu raises pressure 12 to 1 (for a 12:1 fmu) for each pound of boost.

so says 6 psi x 12 = 72 psi + 40 psi = 112 psi of rail pressure, and thus, the 240s act like 300s??? because of the more pressure.

at some point though, pressre is simply not enough. and that's why i woudn't recommend anyone run an fmu over 8 psi, although others get away with 10+.

Also technically..the motor didnt blow because it lacked fuel! Look at the rod.. it couldnt handle the boost! I use to spray a 60 shot on the motor before I turblowed it.. and the pistons themselves still look pefect. No burn marks or scors. The block has a big chuck out of it due to the rod slamming into it.. 2nd cylinder from the left.. youll see the shinney part at the bottom

this is probably a dumb question but can a h22 head fit on an f22 block?? ...only reason i would think this is because the h22 and f22 are the same in displacement.. someone let me kno.

It's kind of funny. The thing that kills most boosted engines is running lean.... more than too much boost.... If you are carefull and do it right you should not have a problem. You probably should replace your injectors. Brake Specific Fuel Consumption formula will be able to tell you how much fuel your injectors will flow at normal and 85% load.... You don't want to run your injectors too much over 85% duty cycle, the injectors will go static and instead of timed sprays will just spit fuel in. It is kind of funny how many people spend hundreds of dollars or more and put all this stuff on their engine and spout off "I am pushing 250+ HP on my Neon" and then find out they have stock injectors.... Hahahah what a load. If they were putting that much hp out on stock Inj. they would be dangerously lean or running their fuel pressure regulator way up their, which will eventually kill the pump and then bam, lean out. This is even worse on boosted rigs. Now I am not pointing fingers at anyone, I too have stock injectors on my Lude. For now...
;)

But seriously, look into it. If you can find someone or order Sport Compact Car issue for May 2001, Volume12, no.05. There is a good article on BSFC.

I guess after this long winded rant, all I can say is have fun.... turbos kick ass.

Just to let you guys know that are intersted in installing a turbo to a F22b1 engine it works fine but you have to take care of the needed essentials like getting a bigger radiator. I blew the heck out of my radiator. Cracked it right in half. Oh yeah, my set up is as follows; I have a 97 honda accord lx, the engine is an f22b1 which is a single overhead cam and I have installed on it an FMAX turbo kit. I ran the engine at different psi's just to see what would happen to the engine because the engine itself has a low compression rate and I also had installed a copper head gasket that comes with the fmax turbo kit. I ran it at 9psi all the way through 25psi and had no problems with either engine or turbo. I ran each level for about a month each. I haven't had it dyno'd yet but I will soon enough. Intstalling the turbo kit is pretty easy. I did most of the work to my car myself but you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. The other mods done to my engine are as follows adjustable aem cam gear, venom in tank fuel pump, aem fuel pressure regulator, aem fuel rail, ported and polished cylinder head and thats about all i can think of oh yeah i replaced my radiator with a fluidyne. hope this helps out anyone who is thinking about boosting an accord engine. Oh yeah, my engine has 150,000 miles on it and no internals done and yes this is my daily driver. I was running 20 psi for a couple of months but because I live in maine and it is fricking cold I turned the boost back down to 9 psi. I am also looking to sell my engine with the turbo kit because I want more power. I am in the projects of completely rebuilding a H22a engine and installing a turbo kit on it. So if anyone is interested in purchasing my engine let me know. Just to give you an idea of what I had spent on my engine here it is: 3300 for the turbo kit, 1200 for a ported and polished cylinder head and different cams, valves and springs; 50 aem cam gear; 100 for fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail from aem. basically around 6,000 or less is what i spent on my engine. make me an offer and I'll get back to you.

Back