Boosted H22 vs. Boosted GSR

What would be better in my 92 Civ HB Boosted GSR or Boosted H22?????

• Boosted H22

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeper7

If there are any techs in this forum leave message I plan on getting a motor very soon and need help on my final decision on the best motor for boost and high horsepower. :)

I've seen good stuff with the boosted gsr's, but wouldn't the almost half litre of displacement be better? I don't know, still learnin myself...

Don't quote me on this or anything but I believe if you boost an H series motor over 8psi you're going to have to have the blocks resleeved. (I may be wrong though... :blink: )

Originally posted by sleeper7@Mar 20 2005, 10:26 PM
If there are any techs in this forum leave message I plan on getting a motor very soon and need help on my final decision on the best motor for boost and high horsepower. :)
[post=476274]Quoted post[/post]​

H serise all the way I have a boosted H22a myself and love it, let a gsr step up and I blow it away anyday

a 180hp boosted GSR-vs- a 200-220hp boosted H22..cmon now people we all kno the answer to this one!!..hands down the H22 would rock the GSR. not only is the displacement higher but the motors dont weigh all that much different from each other and where the added weight from the H22 lacks it makes it up by producing as much as 40 more horsepower(assuming you have the type-r H22) and you wanna talk about boost?? most deffiantely the H22 can handle WAY more pressure then any gsr could anyday stock!!>>>>>

FROM CALESTA: (about a stock H22)If you're only going to use it at the track, nitrous might be cheaper- but if you're going to be spraying all the time, the bottle fills will start catching up to you pretty quick. I would add a turbocharger. The stock block can handle 350whp without any problems.
source for quote:

ok ok i understand that the h22 would kick ass but wouldn't the gsr or itr be better on the pocket?

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Mar 22 2005, 12:27 AM
ok ok i understand that the h22 would kick ass but wouldn't the gsr or itr be better on the pocket?
[post=476889]Quoted post[/post]​

i think the motors would cost about the same. you can probably get a jdm h22 w/ lsd for 3100 or so. a gsr w/ lsd would be about the same but if you go with the itr, then it'd be more. although it does depend what this is going into. whether you need to buy mounts and shit for the h22 or not.

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Mar 22 2005, 12:27 AM
[post=476889]Quoted post[/post]​

I think the H22 swaps are cheaper.

The GSR parts are probably more abundant, so they may be cheaper. Fuel management would be the same. The GSR would probably give slightly more room under the engine bay. Which would be better depends on your goals. The H22 ring lands are supposedly weak in stock form. That is a drawback. The H22 has more torque down low, and higher displacement. That's a plus. Turbo monsters can spin for the sky, but the stock low ends aren't meant for high rpm boost.

My answer is the H22 would rock the GSR from the displacement and pre boost torque point of view in stock form. After stock, who gives a fuck. A motor and turbo system are what you build and how much you spend. I'm sold on the H22. It takes an incredible beating. Boosting isn't as hard on rods and such as people think. The rod strength becomes more important at higher rpms. The ring lands do need to hold the dynamic pressure that boost adds though.

see i was thinking hat the h22 had weaker sleeves then the b18 because of the bigger displacement. and being that it is a torque monster. it is not much more tq then the b18c am i wrong? also he wants to boost there would be more room with the b18 and the mounts are cheaper and easier then the h22

gsr fo sho. better stock parts ie type R tranny, intake mani, better sleeves, more after market support and if you are swapping you can keep ac and power steering. plus cheaper, more available after market parts. too much torque leads to wheelspin on street tires. gsr for daily driver. :)

lets see, gsr swap runs around 2800-ish?
H22 swap is about 2200...

OBD1 H22 has a closed deck, better for boost, sleeves don't float around...
both lower ends would need to be reworked for boost levels higher than 8-10 pounds...

a gsr has either 10:1 or 10.6:1 compression ratio
H22 has 10.6:1

the type r H22 comes from euro accords, the type S from ludes, both bring 220 horse, but also has an 11:1 compression ratio and costs about 4000...
more than H22 or GSR... so that motor is out...

GSR torque = 125...
H22 torque = 160...

the USDM OBD1 H22 should have 10:1 compression and a closed deck up top, so i would look for that motor, it has slightly lower hp at 190 but also has the lower comp ratio too...

any time i am looking at mods or swaps i break it down financially
its all numbers... $$$ per HP

and in this case the H22 motor would be the more reasonable choice...

you also need shift linkages, axles, mounts, P13 for stock motor, plus managment for boost levels...

H22 can wind to 8200 stock...
and i have been able to find parts for the H22 fairly cheap and easily...

plan and simple it comes down to this, how much does he want to spend and how much work does he want to do? something simple to install with out cutting and welding b18 if he wants to spend a ton on linkages and special mounts and so on h22

shit just get a b16 and be happy like me :D

Never really heard of any bad news about both engines having problems being boosted so i have nothing bad to say. If i had the time and the money i would go with the h22 no doubt. I have a b20 vtec but if the h22 was a simple drop in like the b series into my integra, the h22 would be in there.

hmmm, linkages can be had for 125 without you crawling under the car for them (which i had to do)

if its a civic or teg you only need to trim one side on the tranny mount...
there is no welding required...

and mounts can be had for as cheap as 300-350 for hcp...
hasports can be found at a reasonable price if you look around too...

I think that the starter of this thread should state his goals, because if I was going to make a daily driver I would want ps and ac. plus for 300 more you can get lsd from hmotors. but your right for an all track car the h22 can't be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back