1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boosted ls

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by 96ekhb, Mar 29, 2005.

1. 96ekhb

96ekhb Member

Didnt know where to ask the question so Ill ask it here. I was orginally planning on using a b16 tranny out of a 99 - 00 si. but someone told me i would be better off using the ls tranny. They said longer gears would work better when running boost. is this true? Thanks

2. breed

breed Senior Member

it's up to you some people like longer gears when boosting and some like shorter gears. i like longer for turbo and shorter for na.

3. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

Longer gears are never actually "better". They can be more acceptable when you need the extra speed. You obviously didn't modify your car for gas mileage so why use an LS trans.
    Are you planning on a High HP track car thats going to need to do 175 mph? Probably not....

Just a street car, right? Well you should defenitly get a b16, gsr or type r trans.

On the other hand. I have a boosted LS and am using an LS trans. That's 1 my personal preference and 2 cause it's cheaper then any of the others. Sure I could have actually tried to save money for a week and buy another but for some reason I have a facination with long gears or something retarded like that, maybe I'm just too impatient.

4. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

The LS tranny will always be outaccelerated by the b16 tranny. Just make sure to tune your car appropriatly.

5. beerbongskickass

beerbongskickass Senior Member

The LS tranny blows for anything. Longer gears suck period wether your N/A or FI. If you have traction problems get a LSD, staged boost controller, slicks, drag radials, traction bars, solid motor mounts, etc.. The b16 tranny will still get you going 150mph give or take depending on tire size and rev limit.

6. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

:werd:

using long gears is never the solutino to anything- in any situation, shorter gears will always make the car accelerate faster- that's the way gear ratios work

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted