Boosting a B16A CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

another member told me it was cheaper to build my own kit, which in that case, i need to kno what are the best parts to get for the money, piece by piece, i am lost and confused, please help!
you need to do a lot of reading and research to learn
homemadeturbo.com is a good place to start...

if i buy all my parts seperate, what should i look for in the turbo itself, what would be ideal, everyone tells me i need a good turbo to go with the setup, and not to by junk, so what would the ideal t3/t4 be

do yourself a favor and do NOT buy that.

80% of whats typed on that page is just out right wrong.

ask first, buy later :) saves you cash in the end.

so lets start over.

you have a b16 in a crx.

what do you want to do with this car, and what is your budget?

id like to spend $1000 or less if possible, if thats out of the question then possinbly $1500, basically spend the least ammount possible

with the car i want to just build up a fun car to drive on the street, and maybe hit up the strip a few times with my friends, do a little bit of autocross, etc, basically just want to make a car i can be fast with at the strip, but also be a fun little street car to hit round abouts with etc

id also like the car to still be reliable, but be able to put the boost on for the strip, basically just make a little drag rocket i can have fun with, id also plan to keep adding mods to it, so i wouldnt want the power to be limited by the turbo kit, id also like to do pistons/rods/cams etc with it, but that will come at a later time when i have more money, right now id like to get the ball rolling

ive also heard of someone on here making turbo manifolds or somethin, is that u? if so i might have to get 1, thanks for the help, i kno that you are a wealth of information, so any help you can provide me with on my discision on what turbo to do, and what to buy, i will take as first priority

Last edited:
What's up with all the T70 turbos floating around lately? Did the world run out of t3/t4s?

cc-fab and eribunicrx are the ones to talk to about the turbo manifolds on here. Not sure if their shop is set up yet, but go on the forced induction forum here and start reading if you want to know what you are doing (kinda) when it comes time to put it all together.

well my dad is a technictian and knows how to put it on etc, he is really good friends with the guys at turbonetics, but i dont want to drop the $3500 on a kit, thats y ive chose to just build one myself, ive been on home made turbo looking for whats good, and on here, just trying to find out what the good parts are that fit my budget, obviously the gt35r is a great turbo, but the t3/t4 is much cheaper, so i will start with that and switch to a gt35r later down the road, i will talk to them about manifolds, i need more information on picking out turbos

how do you know if its good?
what do i need for a b16a in a rex?
what parts are good?
what brand is good?
how big of a turbo do i need?

questions like that i have no idea, obviously my dad would kno, but i dont want to question him every 5 seconds, especially when you guys are experianced motor builders, and he just fixes peoples problems

how much hp can i achieve reliably with rods/pistons/filled block and a tuned turbo setup

If you're just looking to take your rex to the track on the weekends, but maintain streetability off pump gas, then don't boost over 7psi. A small T25 turbo would suit you well. You can maintain stock internals on a B series motor up to 7 psi (safely). Boosting up to 7psi can give you 40-50 whp, with some tuning.

As far as what you'll need for a B16 swap in a CRX... it depends on what model you have. The basics (I hope you're buying a full swap) would consist of the mounts, motor, transmission, ecu, wiring harness, ecu, shift linkage, and the axles. You can find alot of what you're looking for at sites like hmotorsonline.com, or enginelandinc.com. Keep in mind what generation B16 you're putting in as well. 1st generation B16's are OBD-0 (PW0 or PR3 ecu) and the second generation (like the one's from del Sol's and Civics, stateside) B16's are OBD-1, but I don't mess with them so I don't know much about them.

I've only ever owned CRX's, and I've owned 4. All of them had 1st gen B16's.

if you're looking for a t3/t4 you're gonna spend more than 1000. I spent almost 800 on my turbo alone. as for streetability at 7 psi with a t25...yeah it'll spool nice but you wont have any top end. with 280 whp I feel my car doesnt have enough power...and yes my car is daily driven at. no major problems yet minus the clutch slipping. I set out to put together my own kit hoping it would cost less than a pre-made kit. I've now spent roughly 5k on the car and I'm not done yet. if you're serious about it look into peakboost's kit. my setup is almost identical but it cost me much more. if you have the patience then go for building a kit. I cut corners trying to get the car done earlier and earlier and ended up paying more to fix them because I didn't want to run the car the way I was.

whatare your power goals as of right now? do not go with a t25. there a joke and are even too small for a d series imo. also looking at the peakboost manifolds in person i would not reccomend one to anyone.

i would say w/o knowing what kinda power you want go with a t3t4 57trim. you could find them for around 550. wastegate, used tial for 150, dsm 450's piping, manifold mini ram. i could possibly give you a decent deal on everything if you were at all interested as soon as we finish up a few things.

300-350 whp is my goal, i already have the b16 with obd 0 installed and running with a 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back into a 3'' magnaflow

as for the deal on stuff, ya im def interested, just let me know

i'd go with atleast a t3/t4. i picked up a brand new turbonetics turbo when i put my setup together for only $460. you just have to search around and find the right opportunity.

i agree, a t25 would probably run out of steam before you reached redline.

.5 bar is a good start, but with proper tuning you can probably go up to .8 and reach your goal. i'm making 280whp at .5 on my b17.

i'd stay away from filling your block as well. i've seen josh's block fill writeup go sour on h-t, although i believe he attributed the failure to something else.

a good source for quality manifolds is jg-fab. james is a stand up guy and good to deal with... i haven't heard the same about cc-fab.

Last edited:
the quality with cc-fab is up to par with almost anyone else now. the problem was the customer service and someone is taking over that part of it.

I just finished put a turbo kit together (B16A). consisting a turbonetics t3/t04b turbo with .63 a/r turbine. I went with Crome and RC 440cc injectors. Tial 38mm wastegate (.5bar). I'm hoping too install it this weekend! :)

Why would he want to go to an obd1 setup for best result Erebunicrx...

Crome puts out higher resolution maps than most obd0 tuning options, such as turboedit, BRE... not to mention the tools that crome offers. Also, there are alot more tuners that are familiar with obd1 tuning tools. So there are just three reasons, I'm sure there are more. OBD1 is just a better generation of electronics than obd0; better, faster, more reliable, more sophisticated hardware.

Back