Boosting A Y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok. im probably starting to make people think im mental, from the amount of times i change my mind about what im going to do to my car.

so in talking to many people and doing a little reading online....i think im going to turbo my stock 96 ex civic. seems to me i can get more bang for my buck
and with 3000.00 i can get the greddy kit, bov, intercooler AND have a shop install it for me (3g's sound right for all that?)

im looking to build my car little by little so that it is a mid to high 13 sec. turbo-ed daily driver that will last me thru law school. i dont street race that much and
dont abuse my car.

can someone give me the negatives about boosting a y8? can i have it running high 13's at stoplights and still get my happy ass to the library to study?

i dont want to start another red-neck family fued on here like there has been lately, but can someone give me the low down on what i should and should not

expect? i dont plan to tune the car untill 6 months after the turbo is installed due to monetary reasons. but when said and done, i plan to fully build it.

alot of questions in this post i know.....

thanks

Negatives? Not too many, really- other than the fact that you're starting with a platform that doesn't have as much potential as a B series engine under boost- but you know that already. For $3000 you can probably get all that done. Just shop around for a good used Greddy kit and you'll be fine. I see them for $2000 or less all the time.

You may hit high 13s, but it'll depend a lot on driver skill and your tuning. One of my friends in a 98EX only made 14.0, and that was tuned up to 220/200 at the wheels along with good driving. Practice, and I don't see why you couldn't make it there.

Pros- you're definitely right about the best bang for your buck on this setup. A swap on its own in the $3000 price range won't be anywhere near as fast or fun as a turbo D16Y8.

Back