1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boosting an h22

Discussion in 'Accord' started by ricer69, Dec 17, 2006.

1. ricer69

ricer69 New Member

Hey whatws up I wanted to know if any one knew how much boost a stock h22 will take I didn't figure it would be more than 6-7psi with out pretty hi risk in some major issues. I'm putting an h22 in my 1992 accord ex and i've peiced together a turbo kit for the f22 I haven't put it on the dyno yet but I have pushed it up to about nine pounds of boost at one point in time but I'm only runin 7 now.

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

dont go over 7psi on a stock motor

3. ricer69

ricer69 New Member

Thanks man on both the f22 and the h22 because I thaught the f22 was able to handle more but this guy I know with an prelude with an f22 in it said he wouldn't go over 7-8 with it stock s I turned it down I was real concerned with the h22 because of the higher compression ratio and the "weaker" bottom end.

4. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

well the f series can handle more but for me i wouldnt boost any stock motor over 7psi,

5. ricer69

ricer69 New Member

k thanks alot for the input it saved me greef in the furture

6. tab

tab Super Moderator

Keep in mind the compressor maps for each turbo, and the CFM that your motor requires to reach your HP goal. A smaller turbo will spool faster, but won't give you as much HP at any given PSI as a larger turbo. Inversely, a larger turbo won't spool as fast, but yields much higher HP gain. A smaller turbo also contributes more heat, since heat and pressure run together.

You will want a midsize turbo, at under 7 psi, properly tuned. The weakness is the piston, not the rod or crank journals.

I read that you can double your hp, while only adding 20% more load to the rods. That's not bad. The problem with the H22 pistons are the weak ring lands. The F22 starts with lower compression and has a sturdier piston. I believe that a turbo H22 would stomp a comparible F22, but keep in mind the limitations. Set goals, and do what needs to be done to complete them.

Read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Good read.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted