Boosting an h22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ricer69

Hey whatws up I wanted to know if any one knew how much boost a stock h22 will take I didn't figure it would be more than 6-7psi with out pretty hi risk in some major issues. I'm putting an h22 in my 1992 accord ex and i've peiced together a turbo kit for the f22 I haven't put it on the dyno yet but I have pushed it up to about nine pounds of boost at one point in time but I'm only runin 7 now.

Thanks man on both the f22 and the h22 because I thaught the f22 was able to handle more but this guy I know with an prelude with an f22 in it said he wouldn't go over 7-8 with it stock s I turned it down I was real concerned with the h22 because of the higher compression ratio and the "weaker" bottom end.

well the f series can handle more but for me i wouldnt boost any stock motor over 7psi,

Keep in mind the compressor maps for each turbo, and the CFM that your motor requires to reach your HP goal. A smaller turbo will spool faster, but won't give you as much HP at any given PSI as a larger turbo. Inversely, a larger turbo won't spool as fast, but yields much higher HP gain. A smaller turbo also contributes more heat, since heat and pressure run together.

You will want a midsize turbo, at under 7 psi, properly tuned. The weakness is the piston, not the rod or crank journals.

I read that you can double your hp, while only adding 20% more load to the rods. That's not bad. The problem with the H22 pistons are the weak ring lands. The F22 starts with lower compression and has a sturdier piston. I believe that a turbo H22 would stomp a comparible F22, but keep in mind the limitations. Set goals, and do what needs to be done to complete them.

Read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Good read.

Back