bore and sleeving???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jinstuh

so recently i've been learning more and more about internals and how to build a block. i've really got interested in this bore and sleeving. i was like shit you can bore a b18 to 84mm and it'll be a 2.0 oh wtf that is crazy!!! let do it. haha but yet it sounds too easy to tell me some more info.

if you bore and sleeve it to a larger bore, does that also mean you have to get new pistons and rods. i dont really understand, if it puts the displacement to a higher litter then why dont people just do that instead of getting a stroker kit or whats the differance...jeez i might probaby sound retarded but like they say "learning is half the battle"

Yes you do have to get bigger pistons so they fit the bigger bore. Rods you don't have to change. And with a stroker kit, i believe it changes the crankshaft and not the bore or mabye both correct me if im wrong anybody :p

on stroker kits, the stroke is altered, the bore is the same.

usually honda guys when they get their bottom ends resleeved they usually go with a larger bore since the opportunity to increase displacement is right in front of them.

if you are going to go to the trouble of resleeving a block get new rods too. make it bullet proof....pistons are a must cause bore size will change. changing stroke changes displacement by the travel distance of the piston, by rod length and crank. just resleeve it and replace piston and rods.....and u r set

I'm gonna use the b16 as an example, has a near perfect rod/stroke ratio of 1.74:1, stroking this engine will change this altering its excellent reliablity for the sake of extra displacement. Now if you were to resleeve/bore it you'd be able to keep it more reliable with the added displacement..If you were to ask me which is better I'd say they both have their pros and cons. It's up to the owner/builder which he/she's going to do. When I had my Ls I was going to resleeve it with the 84 mm bore. Also sleeving is much cheaper than stroking an engine.

Things you should upgrade when resleeving your bottom "suggestions atleast"

New Piston for the new bore
Rods
Rod bolts - ARP
all bearings, and seals would be smart
upgraded headstuds - ARP
vtec water and oil pump with corresponding new timing belt

if you can have the entire rotationg assembly balanced and blueprinted

new head gasket

and dinosaur oil for breakin

now is also the time to upgrade your clutch and flywheel since the bottomend is out, if you need to upgrde it.

i am also new to this so im sorry if this sounds dumb but the compression ratio does stay the same doesnt it if you bore it out to a 2.0 liter and someone told me that you cant bore and resleeve, and also waht exactly does resleeving the block do , just bascially strenghen it : \

Back