1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bored TB

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 92civicb18b1, Dec 27, 2004.

1. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

Well, I finally got the LS running perfect.

As I was putting it in, waiting for parts, I pulled off the TB and bored it over a couple mms (about 3-4). Now that it's running it made a tremendous difference in throttle response. I remember from my last swap the response was no where near as good as it is now. It only cost me less $8 to do so it was well worth it, even people thinking about already professionally bored TB's should do it if they can get a good price, I personally wouldn't spend more than 100 bucks on one because I can do it myself.

I haven't actually driven it yet but when I do I'll make an update.

2. shifter

shifter Junior Member

can you write some DIY how to bore trotlebody?

3. ryangt

ryangt Senior Member

yeah bro write somethin up on it, and let me know how it does on the street because i have the same swap

4. 92civicb18b1

i dunno, i'm bad at write ups. I'll see what i can do.

5. sk8er602

sk8er602 Senior Member

6. 92civicb18b1

This was the way I did it, it isn't the most professional way or the best way but it gets the job done. Mine isn't completely even either but it sure does make a difference.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tools:
    -Dremel
    -I used Gold Ferrous Oxide General Purpose Cutting Bits (3-4 should do the job)
    -A vice or something to keep the TB still while cutting
    -A lot of patience and time

Procedure:

I had a big vice that I could hold the TB in, so I put it and locked it down straight.

I then marked the inside of the TB about 3/8" all around the inside of the housing. I just marked it a bunch of times and drew around it after.

Then I started cutting to that line, I have a steady hand and a good eye so i didn't mark it anymore then that line. There is probably a much better method to doing it.

After I got to the line and about 3-4mm out I stopped and used the same type of bit to taper it up to the throttle plate.

When I was all done cutting I used a grinding type bit to smooth it out and clear it of any low spots, high spots. I then just used a regular sanding bit to smooth it out even more.

Turned it around and did the other side the same way.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about the best I can do on the write up, when I get my other TB I'll take pictures.

7. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

so you just tapered it out after the blade?

when you send it somewhere to have it done, they do a complete bore and replace the butterfly valve. I did the same thing you did on a spare throttle body I had when I had my b16 and didn't see any difference

8. formby

formby learning in progress

who did it for $8.. you?

9. 92civicb18b1

yes, I did it for $8. I noticed a difference, i took off alot of material so even at the bottleneck it still pushes more air through.

I tapered it up to the plate, yes.

If I can find a bigger butterfly that's cheap enough I'll re do it to match the plate size. I'll still take off more material then taper it up to that one also.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted