Bored TB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
Well, I finally got the LS running perfect.

As I was putting it in, waiting for parts, I pulled off the TB and bored it over a couple mms (about 3-4). Now that it's running it made a tremendous difference in throttle response. I remember from my last swap the response was no where near as good as it is now. It only cost me less $8 to do so it was well worth it, even people thinking about already professionally bored TB's should do it if they can get a good price, I personally wouldn't spend more than 100 bucks on one because I can do it myself.

I haven't actually driven it yet but when I do I'll make an update.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 27 2004, 06:31 PM

As I was putting it in, waiting for parts, I pulled off the TB and bored it over a couple mms (about 3-4). Now that it's running it made a tremendous difference in throttle response. I remember from my last swap the response was no where near as good as it is now. It only cost me less $8 to do so it was well worth it, even people thinking about already professionally bored TB's should do it if they can get a good price, I personally wouldn't spend more than 100 bucks on one because I can do it myself.

I haven't actually driven it yet but when I do I'll make an update.
[post=437994]Quoted post[/post]​

can you write some DIY how to bore trotlebody?

yeah bro write somethin up on it, and let me know how it does on the street because i have the same swap

This was the way I did it, it isn't the most professional way or the best way but it gets the job done. Mine isn't completely even either but it sure does make a difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tools:
-Dremel
-I used Gold Ferrous Oxide General Purpose Cutting Bits (3-4 should do the job)
-A vice or something to keep the TB still while cutting
-A lot of patience and time

Procedure:

I had a big vice that I could hold the TB in, so I put it and locked it down straight.

I then marked the inside of the TB about 3/8" all around the inside of the housing. I just marked it a bunch of times and drew around it after.

Then I started cutting to that line, I have a steady hand and a good eye so i didn't mark it anymore then that line. There is probably a much better method to doing it.

After I got to the line and about 3-4mm out I stopped and used the same type of bit to taper it up to the throttle plate.

When I was all done cutting I used a grinding type bit to smooth it out and clear it of any low spots, high spots. I then just used a regular sanding bit to smooth it out even more.

Turned it around and did the other side the same way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about the best I can do on the write up, when I get my other TB I'll take pictures.

so you just tapered it out after the blade?

when you send it somewhere to have it done, they do a complete bore and replace the butterfly valve. I did the same thing you did on a spare throttle body I had when I had my b16 and didn't see any difference

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 27 2004, 06:31 PM

It only cost me less $8 to do so it was well worth it, even people thinking about already professionally bored TB's should do it if they can get a good price
[post=437994]Quoted post[/post]​

who did it for $8.. you?

yes, I did it for $8. I noticed a difference, i took off alot of material so even at the bottleneck it still pushes more air through.

I tapered it up to the plate, yes.

If I can find a bigger butterfly that's cheap enough I'll re do it to match the plate size. I'll still take off more material then taper it up to that one also.

Back