Bored

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you would go in as an officer. make really good money. but i didn't know you have an MBA. there are a lot options out there. are you willing to move. have you considered an MBA internship or rotation program?

I am willing to move if the opportunity arises. I have looked at internships...what is a rotation?

don't start a restaurant
failure rates are well over 50%
i see them come and go all the time, just too tough to break into an already existing market

there is a place like you speak near where i live
they do well, but they have been there for years
and they are in a college town and get more towards the bar scene later at nights for the college crowd
but the food is very good and their beer selection is also very good

find yourself a recruiter in your area
its their job to find you a job, and they get early access
just another route to investigate

Ya I have read that 9 out of 10 restaurants fail in the first year...

And do you mean a military recruiter or a staffing firm recruiter?

Restaurants are hit or miss, for sure.

There are plenty in my town that have gone under shortly after opening.
There are others that you still have to wait 2 hours to get a seating at a year later.

If you build it right, people will come.

The ones that fail are generic, over-priced, shitty food, bad parking/location.
The ones that do well are original/small chain, modestly priced, good location, decent parking, and great food

There are federal grants for financial aid available for people not working. You can contact your local Employment Security Comission for info on that. I myself got laid off a few months back, so in June I'm going to pursue my bachelors in English Lit and minor in Education. I want to be a teacher, but not for financial stability (they don't make a huge salary), but it's something that I would love to do, and I can imagine myself doing it for years to come. Just pick something that appeals to you and look into it, all forward motion is progress :)

Also, I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that if you get a degree before you go into military service, you enter as a higher ranking officer. Something to think about. If you have a degree AND you can say that you're a veteran on a resume.. you're in there like swimwear :) Good luck with everything. The first step is forming a plan.

In my area, those bars are very common.

One, brouers has a great selection and great food, but is mostly tailored to british. Another is taphouse has all different kinds of food, and incredible, incredible incredible selection of drafts.

Ya it's pretty sweet. The toughest thing would be getting the supply chain nailed down so as to constantly have fresh variety. I would have like 10-15 rotating taps so when you came in there was always something different. The rest would be bottled and could be purchased for take home or drink in.

10-15 isn't enough man.

My hole in the wall bar next to me has like 35ish.

My roommate's family has a keg store and they carry 67 different kegs from only 3 distributors and a couple micro company's, very very very easy to do.

Shit you can drive down there and pick them up in a box van from most distributors.

10-15 isn't enough man.

My hole in the wall bar next to me has like 35ish.

My roommate's family has a keg store and they carry 67 different kegs from only 3 distributors and a couple micro company's, very very very easy to do.

Shit you can drive down there and pick them up in a box van from most distributors.

Hmm...I guess the idea is that selection is different than variety. I don't want to keep 60 beers rotating between 30 taps. I want 400 beers rotating between 10 taps, so there is ALWAYS different stuff. That is part of that adventure.

And sourcing that kind of variety, here in New England, to include as far as Californian breweries, will be tough.

Hmm...I guess the idea is that selection is different than variety. I don't want to keep 60 beers rotating between 30 taps. I want 400 beers rotating between 10 taps, so there is ALWAYS different stuff. That is part of that adventure.

And sourcing that kind of variety, here in New England, to include as far as Californian breweries, will be tough.

California? You mean washington and oregon. The kings of the micros.

And I get the idea, but unfortunately you have to keep the regular beers going there, like 10-15 almost always up for that kind of beer. And you have your rotating selection otherwise. A ton of places around here do it that way and sell the seasons for a discount, like 8/pitcher and this pushes them through and keeps the more stagnant staples like alaskan amber, mac and jacks, manny's pale ale, etc on tap because they're favorites.

California? You mean washington and oregon. The kings of the micros.

And I get the idea, but unfortunately you have to keep the regular beers going there, like 10-15 almost always up for that kind of beer. And you have your rotating selection otherwise. A ton of places around here do it that way and sell the seasons for a discount, like 8/pitcher and this pushes them through and keeps the more stagnant staples like alaskan amber, mac and jacks, manny's pale ale, etc on tap because they're favorites.

Haha, ya, the whole West Coast is great. I love Firestone Brewery. They make ONLY pale ales. Sooo good.

You are right about the staples though. A lot of people will frequent for the consistency.

Back