Bosh O2 sensor!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98EK

I have a 98 SI or EX and I'm using the original O2 sensor harness to connect to the new one which is a Bosch 4 wire O2 sensor. The colors don't match and this is where I'm having trouble. The original has 1-green, 1-white and 2-black. The Bosch has 2-white, 1-gray and 1-black. I basically need to know what the colors from the stock one are for. I've been trying to find this for some time and can't find it anywhere.

If you'd look in the box that the Bosch sensor came in, you'll find a folded piece of paper. This is the installation instructions for the O2 sensor. They'll show you which wire goes where.

the instructions only give me a description of their wires. The 2 heater wires, the ground and the other one I forget the name. I just need to know which one these is the following for the stock harness that I'm using to connect to the new one. So what the green, white and two black ones are.

If I'm not mistaken and you bought the same thing I did, to be truthful, take it back and get the one that has the end on it. It's 10x easier. But from the manual that comes with the sensor, we have the Type C I believe. Or mine did but again mine is a 95 ex. so. But hope this kind of leads you in a better direction. Def. go to bosch's website and search for the manual on there tho if the wires don't show up in the list at the bottom of the instructions. -Gary

Yeah, you're right, by looking at the manual it should be a type C but even after connecting the wires, after I clear the the code my engine check light still comes on. I might have to replace the one underneath the car as well. By the looks of it, I don't think neither have ever been replaced. Thanks for your help.

Which code are you getting, O2 Heater? I know I was due to replace it and replaced it because I was getting code 41 which is the O2 heater issue and still didn't resolve it so I'm rather mad but oh well...-Gary

Its code 135. If I remember, that would be the O2 sensor in general. I guess it wouldn't specify whether it would be the one on the exhaust manifold or the one further down the exhaust near the cat. converter. I really don't feel like crawling under there but then again I don't want my car running rich for too long. I disconnected it all together cos when I would accelerate the car hesitates and sort of jerks forward all of a sudden.

Probably best to replace them both, but I would check it again, and see. I'm not a big fan of the OBD-2 system at all, because the stricter emissions and harder to tune so I'm not to savy on it. But again I would have it rechecked and if it is that way then try to test each one and figure out which one was being the bad one. By the way does your car have the 2 pin in there to jump and count the flashes? I know my buddy's 97 ex does and I would also try checking it that way. But thats just my 2 cents. LoL -Gary

Thats cool, I'll have to check both then. THanks for your help.

Not a problem man. Something I'm typically good at is deciphering the instructions on stuff thats how I know it. Although a problem I am facing right now is the heater on the one that was put in my car before I bought it, is throwing a heater code, and I'm waiting to find out if the computer and sensor is polarized or if I truely have wiring issue completely..LoL.. But if you have any other questions with the sensor just ask. Someone is bound to know the answer. -Gary

Back