bottom end

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanclark

looking for about 300bhp from a turbod b16a and i want a bullet proof bottom end
any suggestions about which rods piston crank etc i should look at getting and the best place to buy (that will ship internationally)

Bensons Sleeves
CP Pistons
Probe Rods
stock crank
ACL bearings

proper fuel management (standalone or boost chip), injector size, and tuning

any idea of anywhere online that sells these parts and what kind of prices im looking at ?

email elaskey@cox.net
he deals directly with bensons and can probably ship you a sleeved, and assembeled short block.

looking at about 1000 for the sleeves, 500 for the pistson, 500 for the rods, 125 for the bearings, and misc fees/shipping/etc
in $US

You don't need to do anything to the internals for 300whp. I would maybe lower the compression ratio a bit, just to be safe. Any forged rod/piston combo will be fine if you just want a little insurance.

he said bullet prrof.

while i agree with you that 300 is obtainable, stock sleeves are NOT bullet proof.

i will agree with that as well. but its what he wants :D

for some, the extra G on sleeves is worth the security for a daily driver

:werd:

It is for me. Hell, that's why factory turbo cars are usually so overbuilt. They need to be reliable no matter who drives them.

thats they idea i know it isnt going to pop if igo over the top, also i have the option for more power later on without removing the engine again

Sorry, I just can't justify spending the extra $2,000+ it will cost to build the motor for a honda with those moderate goals, when in reality with safe tuning it can be done on stock internals. People change their minds too often, I would just boost the stock motor and then later on if you really want more horsepower, build it up. Like I said, if you want some extra insurance get a cheap set of eagle rods and forged pistons. Sleeves will also not be needed at all, most of the people with sleeves don't even need them. I just don't like spending money if you don't have to, that's why I run uberdata and not hondata.

well the parts over there are alot cheaper than parts over here so the $2000 that you would spend doing this would probably cost me 2-3 times as much over here and thats if i could even get hold of them, and if ive got the bottom end apart i may aswell do it anyway saves taking everything to bits again later

That's fine for you, but some of us out there like to take extra precautions to completely remove any doubt of strength for a build. If he can afford to sleeve the block and he thinks he might boost more later- I'd say go ahead. I would.

I'm with you though. If I know that 300whp is all I want, I would just throw in some forged pistons/rods and go for it. The stock sleeve will hold that power level just fine.

It may be what he wants, but people don't know what they want, especially noobs (not saying he is a noob, just an example). I remember back when I wanted to turbo my car, I thought a tiny IHI turbo and FMU would be cool lol, that was before I knew anything, I sure am glad I waited.

I like to give people info so they can learn and make decisions on their own. I wonder if this guy has ever had/driven a turbo honda before? Dropping a bunch of money into a built 300whp motor for your first setup isn't what I would suggest to anybody. I say start small with what you have and learn as you go. You can always build the motor later on, if you spend all the money now, your stuck with it.

I agree. I do wish that I had built the first engine up more when I bought it though- now I've spent even more cash building new engines when I could have avoided some of the spending earlier on in the process. That's just me though. I'm insane.

ok so the advice i seem to be getting is boost first then see what i feel about the power and make a decison whether i want more or not after that ? in which case i should be asking about a suitable turbo setup, ive had a read through other posts on the site and seems i want to choose all the parts seperatley as it seems no one has anything good to say about ready built kits !

Back