Bought a rt4wd wagon. Now what?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VPT

Bought a 4wd wagon the other day. I know civics and crx's inside and out but anything to check on or look out for with the 4wd wagon? And maintenance tips or stuff? 4wd seems to work like it should, clutch is original and a little weak but works fine for normal driving.

How much power is to much for the 4wd system? I like superchargers and am thinking of supercharging the wagon. I can use the S300 ecu from my crx I never drive and just throw on the blower and go pretty much.

I hear the zc swap really doesn't show substantial gains over the stock D16a6?

Not a big turbo fan, I hate lag and the turbo problems (shit leaking, couplers blowing, boost leaks, or smoke).

I know people like pics, its the blue one. :D

trailertires013.jpg

nice find!

i think a small supercharger and an upgraded clutch would work out OK. a few of the mirage guys run superchargers on their 1.5 its a neat and efficient little setup.

Fixed the loose rear diff bushings yesterday. Turned up a couple delrin bushings on the lathe and installed them between the top bushing and the diff mounts.

I like the car just as much as any other EF I had! Just needs more power, I have never owned and driven a D-series EF before.

I advanced the cam to the SI setting, installed a bigger throttle body, adjusted the valves, intake, exhaust, and set the timing a couple degrees advanced. It is a night and day difference from when I got it but it needs more.

Looks like this thread could turn out pretty good.....

Might take awhile to find a cheaper jrsc. Would a M62 be to much for the D? I have a few of those laying around.

Nice find. As you have found the rear diff bushings are a very common problem on rt wagons. Check your u joints and the support bearings for the viscous coupler on the drive shaft. They are known to have issues as well.

Beware when shopping for a clutch that the T.O. bearing is unique to the awd trans. the rest of the clutch components are the same as other ef cars. As of the last time I looked SPEC is the only performance clutch maker that lists a kit specifically for the rt wagon.

In the quest for more power you can build up your d16a6 or swap a dohc zc or a d16z6. A rebuilt and supercharged d16 would be really cool for this car. They really benefit from have low and mid range torque because they can actually put it down. From what I have researched the awd components will handle in excess of 300whp if they are in good condition and are well maintained.

Good luck with this project, I will be watching with a little envy until I can get my rt back on the road again.

Thanks for the info fernpatch! I did have the car up on the lift and checked over everything for slop and everything is tight besides the rear trailing arm bushings. I will be getting a bushing kit for the car sometime and replace the trailing arm bushings at the same time.

Besides the weak clutch the drivetrain all works great, trans shifts very good, rear end is silent, no vibrations or funny noises, the car seems great. Just needs come maintenance and HP. lol

Back