Bought another Honda :D possible swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
So I bought a 1990 Accord DX 2.2L 4-door from a dealership. 180k miles, engine runs nice and strong and 5-speed tranny shifts hella smooth no grinds, no leaking/burning, picked it up for $2,260 altogether. And I noticed straight up the Accord definitely gets up quicker than the Civic did that 2.2L has some torque for a Honda! Not that I abuse it I haven't revved past 4,000 rpm or gone full throttle.

Car has new paint, a/c and heat work good, and it runs great makes a perfect daily driver. Only thing is there's a couple tiny dings and there's a light knocking sound coming from the right sounds like a tie-rod or cv joint, only when slowing down and braking/turning, either way I'll have it fixed real quick. I'd post pics but it's frickin freezing outside.

Selling the Civic got a guy that really wants to give me $1,000 for it, so now I'm looking into an engine swap for the Accord :D. I was thinking maybe the F22b dohc nonvtec, rebuild and tune up, and juicing it with a 75 shot?

Is the f22b a direct bolt-in swap and does it bolt up to the f22a transmission?
Is there anything in particular I should be aware of doing this swap, what ecu? I haven't been able to find what ecu to use anywhere.

it should bolt up just like all other f and h series but to save a headache why not just buy a h22a motor

f22b - $650 + ship 160hp 160 tq
h22a - $2,000 + ship 200hp 160tq

Not worth the extra money to me and I can use my transmission without worrying about it messing with vtec.

What exactly do you mean by "save the headache"?

Are you talking about sourcing out the ecu and other parts?

all you need is the motor and ecu lol so 1000. but yeah ecu and parts

I still can't find exactly which ecu works the best (and is easiest to find) for this f22b swap, I'm a lot more familiar with Civic engines and compatibility.

But when you mean parts do you mean there's more parts necessary to complete the swap or are you talking about oem tune up parts like water pump, t-belt, etc?

Or by headache you mean more people do the h22a swap so I can probably find a lot more help articles on it right?

Last edited:
Well I've been looking around and I heard you can use an h22a waterpump with h22a belt, or keep the waterpump and use the gsr or type r belt. There's lots of alternatives I guess I just need to do some more looking around before I decide to go thru with this swap or save up for an h22a.

im doing this exact swap at the moment i have heard of many people re using the stock ecu with it as well. the f22a tranny well bolt right up but i got my motor with a tranny there may be a few small things you might have to re use from the old motor if you swap it like the throttle body im not sure yet ill find out when i finally put mine in. but the exhaust system well bolt up as well the motor is basiclly a f22 low end and h23 head and up so most f22a parts well fit perfectly. and you well have to rewire the distributor to be interal rateher than external but you have a 90 so i think yours may be internal compared to mine. but hope i can help you out as much as possible im gonna be trying to get some pics of my swap asap. and the motor is rated 160 hp and 147 tq the 160 and 160 is a h23. the motor is a better deal then the h22 and with the extra money left you could get a few bolt ons and most likely keep up with a h22 very easily like side by side pretty much even no one pulling on eiter one. so the f22b dohc is well worth it and can be very under estimated not that youll beat on the motor any.

Last edited:
Well I've been looking around and I heard you can use an h22a waterpump with h22a belt, or keep the waterpump and use the gsr or type r belt. There's lots of alternatives I guess I just need to do some more looking around before I decide to go thru with this swap or save up for an h22a.

I think you'd probably want to be using H23 stuff. The F22B and the USDM H23 are very similar.

I actually have a book at home that lists what parts from more common engines can be used in oddball JDM swaps. I'll check what it says and get back to you later tonight...

Sweet thanks, you guys are awesome. I was looking up some rebuild kits found some good deals.

Either way this won't be done for a long time I still owe my brother over $2,000 that he loaned me for the car hahaha. But I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I go and do something stupid like I did with the Civic.

h23 motor! Cheap alternative to that h22 a bit more power than the f22. Will bolt right up to your tranny (should you choose). Not to mention way easy to find most of the time.

Last edited:
That sounds good I found a couple of h23's for about $1,000. Maybe buy a rebuild kit for another $800 and have it professionally rebuilt before I drop it in unlike the Civic I just threw in the swap as it came.

I'd definitely get it from hmotors I just threw in the D15B swap I got from them as it came and it's held up fine other than the head gasket I had to replace and the fuel injector I replaced that came cracked.

Sorry, got a couple seriously interested guys buying the Civic for $1,000 with everything. It's just taking up space and the spare parts in my room make it inhabitable (lol what?) I'm sleeping in the living room haha so need to get rid of it all.

We went for a test drive yesterday and the hood wasn't tied down (latch is bent) and the shit flew up while the guy was going like 80 fucking spiderwebbed my windshield and completely fucked the hood haha. So he's definitely buying it now and he gave me a badass JVC unit with some Roadmaster speakers for my Accord since it has no audio right now :D. Scared the shit out of me but it was funny as hell at the same time.

hey we have all been there its a honda lol, same thing happend to me about 3 years ago the damn rear view mirror flew off and hit me dead in the face lol

Back