Bought my first PC...Changing sides.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forum.php

under the subforum - xtremeteams

Stanford Folding Team and World Crunching Grid are my particular interest ;).

STF is protein folding to find a cure for protein related diseases like alzheimers, parkinson's, etc... and WCG helps supercomputers' further research in clean water, cancer, etc..

That all sounds good and I will probably use one of the computers to help out, but I would personally rather search for aliens.

Does any one have any suggestions on what I can do with the left over computer?

mm.. depending on parts, if its low power stuff, you can throw together a really sweet HTPC to stream movies, music, etc..thats is if you dont have an xbox 360 or ps3 doing it already.. heres what ive done to the many pcs i have (8 and counting)

-ubuntu (cheapo pc to mess around with)- Homepage | Ubuntu
-freenas (network attached storage)- FreeNAS 8.0 | Storage For Open Source
-mythtv (dvr) - MythTV, Open Source DVR
-zoneminder (surveillance) - ZoneMinder - ZoneMinder: Linux Home CCTV and Video Camera Security with Motion Detection
-smoothwall (hardware firewall) - Express Open Source Firewall Project
-part out and sell usable parts
-donate them
-take them apart and mess with it and overclock the batshit out of em til it blows up.

the last two are my favorite as im consolidating down to 3 maybe 4 computers.
-laptop
-htpc
-server
-gaming desktop

Zoneminder sounds like a good idea. I want to put up some cameras since there is a lot of crime here in savannah. I do have xbox's for streaming netflix and gaming, so I probably wont use one for that. Thanks for the suggestions endless.

dont use IE.. use Firefox or Chrome.. i have both.. i like Chrome better... faster than Firefox, on my computer anyways

Back