bov illegal ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PHOBIA

hmm, well today me and a friend were talking about turbo's and what i should get and he mentioned that blow off valves are now uillegal and you will be fined a heavy penny for having one.He sed because there was a law just past about evaporative emissions shit going out into the air that it was hurting the air and shit. is this true? we live in california so i wouldnt doubt it.

a bov is not illegal.

however, in cali, it must be re-routed back into the exhaust or somewhere else so that it doesn't vent to atmosphere

anything is possible.
a lot of oem turbo cars re-route it into the intake...
go pop a buddies 1.8t or evo and get some ideas.

rerouted back into the intake charge it becomes a diverter valve they are used alot on VW's as B said

i dont see how it would be illegal, but of course a divorced wastegate is illegal on the street in most places.

this is california, everything is illegal, except pot.

The air out of a BOV is straight out of the exhaust with some fresh air mixed. I guess i can see where he is saying its illegal. I know external dumps for wastegates are definetly illegal. it breaks about 2930856 enviromental pollution laws. Like driver1 said go with adiverter valve if you are that worried about it. THats why I love living in NY no one really bothers you about pollution, it cant get much worst than it is.

the compessed air doesnt have any exhaust in it, unless you route the exhaust to the turbo intake for some reason(???). over here external wastegates are legal; so long as they arent divorced from the downpipe(has to go through cat and exhaust).

OK, let's straighten some things out- a BOV (bypass valve, blow off valve) vents COMPRESSOR air. A wastegate, be it internal or external, vents EXHAUST gas. There is no mixing, ever. The reason why a BOV/ bypass valve may be deemed illegal when venting to atmosphere, is because the crank case breather hose is routed into the compressor inlet, and by venting the compressor air to the atmosphere, you're allowing unburned carbons into the air.

Back