Bov On An Auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

biglee414

Ok, this may sound like a totally ignorant question, but here it is. My freind just bought a vw golf 1.8T, and he wanted me to find out if you could put a bov on an auto. Ive never heard of anyone doing this before, but i cant see why not, so i'm asking you guys is it possible?

well see he doesnt really know how to drive a manual that well and just bought the car so doesnt have enough $$$ for that either. he just wants to know if it would work while the auto tranny shifts gears.

You can put a BOV on anything you want. It will work on an auto, but it won't sound when the gears change, it will only sound when he releases the 'go' pedal.

So he could make a full run down the track and the BOV would never make a peep, unless he lifts, until he gets out of it at the end of the track.

Also, lots of time, turbo automatics are faster than turbo manuals, because you never have to spool back up when racing, the power is always pushing.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Mar 20 2003, 08:58 PM
You can put a BOV on anything you want. It will work on an auto, but it won't sound when the gears change, it will only sound when he releases the 'go' pedal.

So he could make a full run down the track and the BOV would never make a peep, unless he lifts, until he gets out of it at the end of the track.

Also, lots of time, turbo automatics are faster than turbo manuals, because you never have to spool back up when racing, the power is always pushing.

yea.... thats why all those fastest turbo hondas in the world are automatics right.......

what do you do for a takeoff? Neutral drop? LOL.

FACT: The fastest Honda's in the world use Porsche trannies. Why? because ALL honda trannies are relatively weak, the auto's just happen to be extraordinarily weak.

Honda's aren't big into the automatic tranny thing because they make VERY little torque. V-8 use auto trannies for consistency, and for power, because you're just losing time pushing the clutch down and releasing the drivetrain from the engine.

they now use custom made trannys but did you porsche tranny not just for the srength but for the Sequential shifting ability

well I guess it's all in what you want to lose, power or the time it takes to shift. Everyone can agree auto trannies suck power. But I am aware that super high HP cars (ala funny cars) use some sort of auto setup so that shift points can be programmed precisely. But it is wrong to say that "generally" auto turbo hondas are faster than manual, that just isn't true.

auto turbo hondas? with the stock honda tranny? the tranny will last about 2 months.
not to mention how easy they over rev. I know a couple kids with turbo auto hondas, and some people think that they let off the throttle everytime before they shift just to shoot their bov, but actually if they don't, the tranny keeps them in gear, and they over rev, so they have to let off the throttle.

"how do you lauch an auto tranny, neutral drop?"
ever hear of a stall convertor?
:spin:

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Mar 22 2003, 06:49 PM
But it is wrong to say that "generally" auto turbo hondas are faster than manual, that just isn't true.

I never said that.

I said generally, Auto Turbo CARS are faster. Honda's and other FWD cars are the exception to the racing rule because of lack of torque and/or a decent stall converter to get them out of the hole. Thank you.

OR a tranny that will hold the power in the first place :)

honda automatics are the reason scatter shiields are now required. lol j/k

actually the bov on turbo autos do make noise when going. autos are usually 4 spd, if you ever drove an auto... youll notice the rpm dropping and rising, usually around 3000rpm. the reason people dont like racing with autos is because the torque convertors suck up power, ive heard them taking like 50% of torque, and the best torque convertors take up about 15% of power. if they made an auto tranny that uses a regular disc clutch youll have a very fast car.

Think about that. WHY would the BOV go off if the throttle never closes?

It doesn't back up the pressure that the BOV is designed to releive when shifting, it keeps pulling air, no matter what the transmission is doing.

stall converter.... whatever. Automatics AREN'T always pushing, they have to shift and lose power for a moment also, the difference with a manual is just that your not robbing torque on a regular basis. Anyhoo, it's a moot point because we are posting on a honda board, and everyone knows that the fastest hondas with stock trannies are going to have to be manual, unless they want new trannies every 60 days - and they want to lose what little toruqe they have

and SirKid is right about the BOV, if you don't build pressure between the TP and the turbo, the BOV won't sound. And unless autos have some sort of electronic throttle override I don't know about......

well i dont know about hondas but in my mom's van the gas pedal doesnt go directly to the throttle body. the throttle actually closes when the gears in autos shift. in some cars you can see the car hear the car shifting b/c the exaust suddenly becomes quiet then is loud again.

That's called "Drive By Wire". No honda's have that... yet. It's rampant in Euro's and high end Domestics.

The new Infinity G35's, and 350z have the "drive by wire" junk......they are pretty high end

They have it, but im wondering if they actually will close the TB plate to shift. If they did do that, yes, the BOV would sound, depending on what the computer is doing. Who the fuck knows anymore. I drove an Audi A4 with the 1.8T, it felt like I was playing a video game

Back