Brads Room

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
Just got a FREE 60" Sony HDTV. Rear projection, about 4 years old. Theres a part called the motor that combines all three projectors into one picture, only Sony uses the "motor" system. Well it failed and now theres a light green splotch in the upper middle. But it only shows up on lighter colors, bolder colors look fine. Anyway it makes a kick-ass PS3 TV for a 16 year-old, and the price was right. ;) I might buy a cheap HDMI cable and wire for actual cable TV.

Terrible picture, I'll get a better one when batteries are recharged.

sony60.jpg

LOL GT5.... coming to a PS4 near you, 1Q 2015.

Haha yeah, I gave up on waiting. If/when it comes out I shall buy. I was thinking of buying the new NFS game but I never liked the driving physics vs Grand Turismo. I may buy Grid, the demo got me hooked.

Ha, my friend had a big screen projection that got mangled and it looked like if you put on 3D glasses and looked at a normal TV.

my cousin's is like that... it got struck by lightning... i couldn't stare at it for more than a couple minutes it drove me crazy... its been like that for like a year and he hasnt replaced it lol

Ha, my friend had a big screen projection that got mangled and it looked like if you put on 3D glasses and looked at a normal TV.
Haha, I'd like to see that.
my cousin's is like that... it got struck by lightning... i couldn't stare at it for more than a couple minutes it drove me crazy... its been like that for like a year and he hasnt replaced it lol
And this one is defentally not that bad at all. Playing today I completly forgot about the splotch. Oh yeah, I got a cheap HDMI cable and NFS Shift. So far I have the S2K painted yellow and all stage 1 stuff. I also got a Civic Si, almost stock. Shit is FUN!!!! In the drivers view its like life size and its clear. :)

I just put up a gameing shelf beside my bed, it holds the remote, two controllers and games.

The S2K was too much of a beast to handle, it's all over the place and it pisses me off. So I built a stage 1 S13, it's the funnest car I've driven.

Dude, Ratchet and Clank is a fun game, no need to lie and say it's your sister's game.

its probably not any type of 'motor' that's making that green splotch. it's probably a polarizer panel that went bad. That happens in LCD's all the time, and Sony's LCoS displays are like a combination of DLP and LCD (for simplicity's sake, that's what i'm going to say).

Basically, after extended use, the organic polarizer decays and it makes colors in the are of decay look exaggerated. Once it really dies, you'll have a very noticeable splotch like someone spilled yellow paint. The part is replaceable in front projectors, but its not something a novice would want to do. I've never seen how its done on a RPTV.

Here's a picture of a FUCKED UP panel:

burntpolarizer.jpg

The bad news is, it's about an $800 repair, so I wouldn't bother looking into fixing it since for that price you could get a new tv.

Last edited:
Dude, Ratchet and Clank is a fun game, no need to lie and say it's your sister's game.
Honestly it is her game...but it ain't bad. :ph34r:
its probably not any type of 'motor' that's making that green splotch. it's probably a polarizer panel that went bad. That happens in LCD's all the time, and Sony's LCoS displays are like a combination of DLP and LCD (for simplicity's sake, that's what i'm going to say).

Basically, after extended use, the organic polarizer decays and it makes colors in the are of decay look exaggerated. Once it really dies, you'll have a very noticeable splotch like someone spilled yellow paint. The part is replaceable in front projectors, but its not something a novice would want to do. I've never seen how its done on a RPTV. The bad news is, it's about an $800 repair, so I wouldn't bother looking into fixing it since for that price you could get a new tv.
My dad phoned Sony and they said all TV's of this model have had the "motor" or "engine" fail at 3-4 years, 2 years for heavy users, and its a $1500 fix for only about 3 years more. I got the TV from my dads co-worker. He paid $5600 new and Sony gave him thier top of the line new LCD TV for $600.

Oh and bad news, my PS3 broke. :( From day one the audio and video have been a bit screwed and now all I get is a flicker now and then. The weird part was its been flat for 9 months and when I put it in my room I put it on end. It worked perfect until today. Good news is I phoned Sony and theres a 1 year warranty on it. :)

Honestly it is her game...but it ain't bad. :ph34r:

My dad phoned Sony and they said all TV's of this model have had the "motor" or "engine" fail at 3-4 years, 2 years for heavy users, and its a $1500 fix for only about 3 years more. I got the TV from my dads co-worker. He paid $5600 new and Sony gave him thier top of the line new LCD TV for $600.

ahh they're referring to the light engine. its basically the same issue though, some people refer to it differently. didnt put engine = motor together in my mind. (sorry, Home Theater is my current stupid hobby)

Back