Brain teaser

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
it took me like a half hour to figure this out

|h| |h| |h|

|E| |W| |G|

The three H boxes are houses, the three below them are electricity, Water, and Gas terminals. Each house requires all of them. Draw lines connecting these houses with the rescources they need. Each line can only go to only location (no junctionbox type stuff, there should be 9 lines total). Here's the kicker, no line can youch any other line, no overlapping, nothing. Be the first to PM me the awnser if you figure it out and if your right I'll delcare you the winner. Grand prize? Me telling everyone else here to :worthy: 2U :D

there has to be 9 lines?

couldnt you do it with just 5?
like wiring 3 speakers up to an amp in a series?

well i did it with 9, not sure if its what your looking for :p

|h|_____|h|______|h|
|
|
|
|E|_____|W|______|G|

Would this work?

:EDIT: Nevermind.... I didn't see the part about the 9 lines

dont spend too much time on this becaues it is provably impossible to do on a Euclidean plane. as well as on a peice of paper.

Originally posted by ndogg@Jun 9 2004, 07:39 PM
dont spend too much time on this becaues it is provably impossible to do on a Euclidean plane. as well as on a peice of paper.

Bingo! I got it... Have to think in 3D.

or do I? damn it!

s40c7bf0ac5c39.jpg

this was re-arranged to simplify the visual. But it would work the same with your layout

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre+Jun 9 2004, 08:42 PM-->
@Jun 9 2004, 07:39 PM
dont spend too much time on this becaues it is provably impossible to do on a Euclidean plane.  as well as on a peice of paper.

Bingo! I got it... Have to think in 3D.

or do I? damn it!

you need to go 3-d, use a special 2-d object called a torus or bring the lines though the houses.

no winners yet, let me restate the rules

the lines you use must not cross/touch each other
each house must have it's own line from each of the rescources
and it has nothing to do with 3D

Ita ll works out for me except one line... the last line for Elec... bastards...

Too bad you cant cross lines for the electricity, houses are usually in parallel anyway. :p

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Jun 9 2004, 05:35 PM
|h| |h| |h|

|E| |W| |G|

If it's really set up like that, it can't be done. Theres always just that one last line that fucks me over.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Jun 9 2004, 10:41 PM
no winners yet, let me restate the rules

the lines you use must not cross/touch each other
each house must have it's own line from each of the rescources
and it has nothing to do with 3D

One of the lines has to go under a house.

That's still a 3D solution though- and you said it had nothing to do with 3D. :p

gaswaterelectricity.gif

ah so he added bullshit rules so that no one could do it. Thanks I wasted like 5 pieces of paper drawing lines all over the places.

hmmm impossible!

now im fustrated and I have pen marks all over my monitor :angry:

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jun 9 2004, 11:32 PM
ah so he added bullshit rules so that no one could do it. Thanks I wasted like 5 pieces of paper drawing lines all over the places.

Well, technically the lines don't cross- just draw the houses as boxes and not dots, then the solution becomes obvious. You do still have to go under a house though, so it's still a 3D solution.

just bring the line through the house not under it. then its 2-d. its a stupid trick question any way you look at it. if you look at it with graph theory (wich i have done) there is no solution. unless you use a special 2-d surface called a torus:

utilities_torus.gif

edit: do i win?

Here is a real brain teaser with a real solution. it is a little tricky but it CAN BE DONE without any bullshit tricks:

you have 8 identical coins. and a balance (where you can compare weights). you are allowed to use the balance 3 times only. one of the coins is a different weight than the other 7. wich one is it and is it heavier or lighter?

this question was asked to a friend of mine during a microsoft interview.

Sitting here, laughing at these solutions, I've come to the conclusion...

My friends on Hondaswap.com kick ass. ;)

Originally posted by ndogg@Jun 10 2004, 01:05 AM
Here is a real brain teaser with a real solution. it is a little tricky but it CAN BE DONE without any bullshit tricks:

you have 8 identical coins. and a balance (where you can compare weights). you are allowed to use the balance 3 times only. one of the coins is a different weight than the other 7. wich one is it and is it heavier or lighter?

this question was asked to a friend of mine during a microsoft interview.

There is no way to tell from the information given. :p

BUT, the fastest way to find out which, and if heavier or lighter is listed here.

Weight 4 and 4. Which side is heavier?

Remove 1 of each side.

Weigh 3 and 3. Which side is heavier? If same, then the coins you removed from the previous step were different from each other. Weigh one against one of the remaining 6 to find the oddball.

If the 3 and 3 are still different, remove one from each side and weigh again.

Repeat til you find the oddball.

Back