Brake adjustment/free play

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

So I installed a GSR 1" master cylinder into my 92 Accord LX because I'm too cheap to buy a replacement. Anyway, I had trouble getting the original booster out of my Civic(too time consuming) so I just threw it onto the Accord booster which had similar part number(260V-1 on the Accord, 260V-2 on the GSR).

I bled it only a bit since the master cylinder still had fluid in it; but issue I'm having right now is pedal travels about half way before it actually engages and when it engages it "feels" like a 1" MC is on there. I tested for free-play(thought not sure if I tested correctly) and it feels like it has the typical ~5mm free-play. I want to say there's actually three levels; 1st level feels like it's nothing but the pedal spring(the 5mm I refereed to above), second seems like it's engaging the booster only(feels like you're pushing on another spring) then the final it just gets hard pretty quick(pretty much how it felt in my Civic).

I've dealt with air in the lines(spongy pedal) but this does not feel like that, so not sure if I should keep bleeding or should I adjust the booster?

In for the read if anyone else replies. I've got the same symptoms on my 1" gsr master cyl / gsr booster setup. I've bled the crap out of it too. I didn't know that the booster can be adjusted. Maybe that is it:question:

Probably so. Honda recommends using the tool for it but I think I'll just adjust until it feels right or my brakes lock up. lol

BTW, did you bench-bleed your MC? I think I'll try using "Mighty Vac" to bleed my brakes tomorrow and see if that helps. If not I'll be spending the afternoon in a vacant parking lot.

Though, I should add that initially with the stock GSR booster, I didn't have this problem(in the Civic). Was yours pieced together or procured as one assembly?

Back