Brake bleeding problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Korax

So, I did a rear brake swap on my ED 3dr. Here is the list of work I did. The rear trailing arms are from a 93 si.

Reman DA Integra brake booster
New DA Integra master cyl
New 93 Si rear calipers
New rotors/pads
40/40 valve, very clean
SS lines all around
New OEM brake line from prop valve to front drivers side wheel well. It was brittle and I broke it putting on the stainless line.

I bench bled the the master cyl properly. Hooked up the two lines it came with and used my hand vacuum bleeder. Pushed the pedal and bubbles came out.. I repeated until it stop pushing air out. I hooked up the two lines that went to the the prop valve and starting bleeding the lines from the passenger front, driver front, passenger rear, driver rear. When I did the first two there was a decent amount of fluid that came out but there were still a lot of bubbles. When I moved to the back almost nothing came out. I got some fluid but it was taking a really long time. When I moved back to the front it was pretty much the same as the back. I was hardly getting fluid anymore. I kept going around and still getting pretty much nothing. I never let the fluid go below low on the res. The lines are all tight, the hose from the bleeder seals well. I have the lid on the res. Ideas? Maybe I'm missing something stupid or doing something wrong.. I have never had this much trouble doing this.. but I have never had so much air in the system either.

Inspect the prop valve. It sounds to me like it's either faulty or it's one from an ABS vehicle. You should be using a non-abs prop valve BTW...

Redo the bleeding again but this time start furthest from the wheel from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest. This isn't a must but it's usually the rule of thumb method. Try it out, it may help.

I'm gonna work on this again tomorrow morning. How can you tell if it is an ABS or non ABS valve? I would have assumed as much seeing how you don't use ABS booster/master cyl either, though I didn't know there could be a dif in valves. My 40/40 looks exactly like the one I removed other than the "40/40" stamp or w/e is on it.

I'm gonna work on this again tomorrow morning. How can you tell if it is an ABS or non ABS valve? I would have assumed as much seeing how you don't use ABS booster/master cyl either, though I didn't know there could be a dif in valves. My 40/40 looks exactly like the one I removed other than the "40/40" stamp or w/e is on it.
Honestly, I don't know how to tell. All the ones i've gotten, I took off the cars myself and verified that the car didn't have abs.

There may not be a difference but it's worth taking a look at to help narrow down your problem.

Sorry, I forgot to post the other day. This issue is resolved. It must have been the master cyl. I ended up taking it back off and bench bled it again. Pedal is retarded stiff now and no air in the lines.

Back