brake boost vs low gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed

okay i got a question..i've been looking around and seeing what people say bout brake boost. Brake boost is rolling in a certain gear..lets say 3rd and at 40mph..then pressing down on brake a bit while still giving gas and rolling in same mph. It allows the turbo to create boost. Then you let go of the brake and floor it. My question is...why do brake boost? why not just roll in 2nd gear at 40 mph and be at high rpm and be creating boost...for us honda guys it also allows vtec engagement quicker. So which do you guys think is better? Just wanna hear your guys opinions.

brake boosting is to reduce turbo lag
mainly used in racing cars with more tq than hondas (everything)..
puts the car in the powerband so you dont have to wait for the turbo to spool.

You generally brake boost BEFORE the race, so that you're fully spooled when it comes time to drop the hammer, you just take off isntead of waiting for the turbo.

If you have a dinky turbo, this is a waste of time. This is mostly for bigger turbo guys who lag for 2k rpms.

^^ Exactly.

If you have a larger turbo that takes some time to spool up to XX psi you brake boost..

If you, like me for example with a sr20 T25, have a smaller turbo...there is no need to brake boost, as you spool much faster and sooner.

Google probably would have helped you with this question.

Back