Brake caliper?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

Grinding during a hard turn is usually a sign of an axle joint going bad. Check to see if the boot on the outter part of the cv axle is torn.

black fluid is normal...

if its cold outside and you have no heated garage i would just leave it as is...

i've never had fluid fail on me and i doubt a stock DX would need brand new fluid all the time...
you should change it sooner or later cause it more than likely has some moisture mixed with the fluid which is not the greatest thing in the world but you don't need to worry about sudden brake failure...

the bigger concern is why was the fluid low?
where's it leaking from?

i could be wrong, but i read in a few articles that changing your fluid every year and a half to two years is a wise thing to combat moisture and brake fade. ehh, i haven't change mine out in like 2.5 years, but then again, my brakes a squishy and they suck, i think i'm going to flush my system out real soon.

Quoted post[/post]]
hell i bleed my brakes every 3-4 months...

Um, overkill, big time.

Black fluid usually means it's old. Yeah duh. Old fluid tends to be acidic and have a little moisture in it.

Like mentioned, since you're not worried about brake fade from heat, and fluid doesn't really die, you should just find the leak.

The old acidic fluid might contribute to seals failing. Fix your leaks, then flush the system. No use flushing if you are losing fluid to the ground.

Brake grind is usually when either a pad or shoe wears past the lining. Brake pads usually have a wear indicator that scrubs on the rotor once they get worn enough. I'd start there, and then check the drums. Les Schwab will check that shit for free. Don't take their word for what needs done though. I let them figure out the problem, and then ask them to show me with the car lifted.<<<<That's my old cheap method anyway. My new method is to just buy new rotors, pads, etc. and replace everything but the calipers. :)

come to think of it, i acctually had that same problem, every time i turned i'd get a grinding, figured out it was my brake pads that were worn down to the rotor, i'd check there bud.

couldn't hurt to grease and inspect your rear wheel bearings(inner and outer) while you're at it.

I beat the hell out of my brakes. I replaced them 10k miles ago and the rears are gettting pretty shitty again. But I alsohave 4 wheel discs and beat the living shit out of them. 100>40 + normal driving takes a toll on the rotors and pads.

My fronts are still like new though..:shrug2:

I need to scrounge up another 500 or so bucks to replace the struts/shocks on the Audi before I gtet back into replacing brakes.

I am all for a full brake job. It really doesn't cost much. El Cheapo disc blanks, a drum clean up, and pads/shoes of choice.

That grind could be a front wheel bearing also.

I bleed my brake fluid 6 times a year and completely flush them 3 times a year. But only because I track the car about 15-20 times a year. :)

Back