brake dragging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
well I want to be carefull how I say dragging because I can't even feel it. But every once in a while I hear a light draggin sound comming from my left rear caliper of the S14, when I touch the brakes it usually goes away.

what do you think?

I had a wheel bearing do that on my integra, it sounded scraping when it was a little off kilter and I guess the brake pads stabilized it. Jack the car and see if there's any play in the bearing.

There should be zero play in your hub period. Any amount of movement means the bearing is going out.
1.) Jack car up
2.) Put your hand on top of the tire
3.) Push into the fenderwell and pull out

If the wheel wiggles at all replace the bearing.

awesome thanks, I was always better at swapping parts then I am troubleshooting lol. After my tie-rods and my ball joints how hard could it be? :-D

:withstupid:
Make sure you do your research, a lot of bearings need to be pressed hydraulically and some have to be replaced as entire units (like back bearings on Integra's). Definitely not changing brake pads on the difficulty scale.

Whatever, I used to fix these

b_1b.jpg

these

c130_14.jpg

and, oh yeah these

Usaf.f15.eagle.750pix.jpg

Your bearings don't scare me, I just suck at trouble shooting. Besides I have a Chilton's :)

Check my avatar, used to throw things out of those :) Good luck with the bearing (did it turn out to be that?). I know I spent more time and money trying to get rid of that noise before I found it so I'll be happy if thats what it is.

Aircraft Hydraulic Craftsman in the house y0!

I just can't troubleshoot cars, but you show me what's wrong and give me a book and it's no prob!

haven't checked it out yet, might tomorrow or saturday, will drive light till then. Check my other thread, I'm looking at scoring my brake conversion

I've been drunk for the last four weeks.... :cry:

Nothing to do but drink, smoke, build an engine on a budget...and be absorbed into the computer waiting for any news from the strike...life sucks. If I had the money, then I could get a dumpster, pick up more junk around the house, and buy more materials to build up another room, add more electrical outlets to the garage, build a shed behind the garage, get real parts for my Z build, afford the entrance fee for a drift event.....

But I did get the wife to buy me an 18" 40cc Craftsman gas chainsaw today...so when I get in the mood...I can have some fun with the tree's in my yard...hehe

Plus watching spray paint dry is fun..... :)

ahhh...the fumes :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
Could be that the pads are just unevenly worn...

I'll second that, pull the pads and check them out, make sure they are level and the friction material isn't thicker at one side.

Other things to check;
Warped Rotor?
Tension on E-brake cable?

I have a set of rear brake pads just laying around, I'll change em out.

But that doesn't seem like a solution, what would make the pads wear unevenly?

Ehhh... who knows... could be a caliper piston isn't sliding straight, could be a warped rotor... who knows....

Well Changed out the pads on the rear of the S14 over the weekend and problem solved! It was really quite easy to do.. but a word of caution. Removing the E-brake cable from the calipers is much easier after the E-Brake has been disengaged...

At any rate the squeak is gone and I'm happy. This should hold me over until I'm ready for my Brake conversion. Spanks

Back