Brake Drum Adjustment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I am doing the rear brakes on my 92 hatch and i noticed one shoe is worn more than another(i know, i know go for the disc convesion. but right now i dont have the money). Now there is a threaded adjustment bar with clevis's at each end, how should one adjust it? Basically my shoe closer to the front end of the car is worn more that the back one. Same on both sides. thanks.

Anyone know how to properly adjust rear drums on a civic? i got them installed and now the drum won't fit over. is there a measurment to adjust by or is it till the drum fits over or what? Any help would be great.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Sep 21 2004, 11:11 PM
push the back one out more
[post=393294]Quoted post[/post]​

Okay. But i think I did that too much cuz now my drum doesn't fit over. Should i unthreaded enough so the drum just fits over? or is there some other way of telling?

You should read what the service manual says. But in case you don't have the most important tool available, turn the adjuster drum so you can get the drum on the hub. Then, through that little hole they give you out back, turn the adjuster drum so the shoes rub the drum when you turn it. Not a lot, but a little is good. But before that, push on the top of both shoes to check the wheel cylinder for binding. If it won't move, or only moves one way, you need a new one. Further more, your leading shoe (the one facing the front of the car) will always be thinner than the trailing shoe because it does more of the braking. Minimum thickness on a shoe is 1/32" (measure the leading shoe). If you have less than this, you need new shoes.

Back