brake fluid.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sol2nr

i don't know much at all about brake fluid.....

i have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and Hawk HPS pads up front and stock brakes in the rear. I drive and brake aggressively and autocross sometimes. I am looking for the best brake fluid that is very daily driven worthy and will perform well at autocross events. i have a jdm b16a del sol.

What brake fluid do you recommend and why?
DOT3 or DOT4 or DOT5 and why....?
Genuine Honda or another company and why....?

thanks for any info.

-ROB

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 24 2003, 01:08 PM
ATE blue

also known as smurff jiz

i bet you liked looking at that

Higher DOT ratings generally mean a "harder" fluid with better pedal feel and reaction, but it also means that they absorb water more quickly. You'll have to change higher DOT rated brake fluids more often than lower rated fluids. I run DOT 4 Motul 600 in my sedan.

thanks for the info. so the only downside to getting DOT4 as opposed to DOT3 is that you'll have to change it a little more often and its more expensive...?

is there anything special about genuine honda dot3 as opposed to say, STP Dot3? i mean, like is it specially formulated to not wear honda parts, sorta like the honda coolant doesn't contain silicates...?

thanks again for any info.

-rob

Originally posted by sol2nr+Jun 26 2003, 09:21 AM-->
thanks for the info.  so the only downside to getting DOT4 as opposed to DOT3 is that you'll have to change it a little more often and its more expensive...?

Yeah, but not by much. I like to use DOT4.

sol2nr
@Jun 26 2003, 09:25 AM
is there anything special about genuine honda dot3 as opposed to say, STP Dot3?  i mean, like is it specially formulated to not wear honda parts, sorta like the honda coolant doesn't contain silicates...?

thanks again for any info.

-rob

I doubt it- it's a hydraulic fluid, not something that lubricates and protects or keeps moving parts in order- so use what you want.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 26 2003, 11:47 AM
Don't DOT4 and DOT5 fluids require you to run stainless steel lines? Or at least DOT5?

No, but it's nicer if you do. I run DOT4 in normal bulgy lines... although the Civic's lines have been steel braided for quite some time now.

Back