Brake lights not working help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
My brake lights have recently stopped working. I replaced the bulbs, still nothing. I checked the fuse and it is fine. I also pulled the switch and tested for continuity and it is good. I guess the only thing left to check is the wires, but I dont know much about electrical work. Please if you have any advice on how to check the wires I would really appreciate it. I have a multi-tester, I just dont know how to test wires, or where to connect the end of the tester. Its a 93 civic coupe dx

just get a test light and have some one hit the brakes while you test the wires going to the bulb to see if its getting fire.

After that how do you find out exactly where the wire is shorted at? If all three lights have no power then where in the circuit should I start looking? I know one wire splits into three, but where is the split?

well if there is no fire to all 3 i would check the fuses again just to make sure. then go from there. im not real sure where the wires would be to pin point it, a manual would help right about now.

I have a helms but it just has a schematic and it doesnt really say the locations of the wires. Could a bad ground from one of the lights affect all the lights or just the one that has the bad grnd.

Do your dash lights still work? When my tail-lights went out my dash lights also went. It ended up being the switch to turn the lights on.

My dash lights work. The tail lights do as well just not the brake lights.

Do your dash lights still work? When my tail-lights went out my dash lights also went. It ended up being the switch to turn the lights on.

Yeah some random shit are connected in the same circuit.
I was driving home one night when my Fuel gauge, tach, clock, brake lights and turn signal lights all went out. Ended up being a random fuse that blew out under my dash.

To the Op, Check EVERY fuse just to make sure.

I found the problem. Whoever installed the brake switch last screwed it in with the plug connected and it twisted so much that it pulled a wire from the plug. I soldered it back on and now everything works fine. Thanx for the replies though.

Back