brake lights stay on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ghsbaseball91

ok jus found out yesterday that my brake lights stay on after the car is off and i turn off the lights...and i thought maybe the brake pedal was stuck so i kicked it and pulled it..nothin. only way i can get them off is to disconnect battery. Any ideas?

Thats an odd one, ive never heard of that one. Im not sure if its a switch or what that controls the brake lights, maybe call a shop or honda, maybe they know. Or wait a bit longer and someone will help.

Check the brake light switch, its just above the pad of the brake pedal, straight up. Easy to check, multimeter, should disconnect when pushed in, connect when let out. Only 2 wires.

Ahaha totally reminded me of when my friend. She told me my gas mileage was shit cuz there's little unicorns in my gas tank that pops holes in there. Maybe the same ones got to your wiring??? Hm... wouldn't the unicorns in Hondas be smaller, since our gas mileage is so good? Wtf? Where do people come up with that shit.

Also, it could possibly be something other than wires. I don't know how the del sol's brake systems are set up as far as the lights, but I had the same problem on my CRX. My brake pedal had a piece of plastic, protruding out to hit a switch when the pedal wasn't being pushed, which shut the lights off, and when you hit the brake pedal, the switch is unpressed and the lights come on. Anyway, my little plastic piece broke, and I realized it right before I dug into the wires. I took a screw, and put it in one of those dry-wall plastic screw things, and shoved it in there. Worked just fine.

yea i was lookin around up there and i noticed that there was a hole that went over the switch, i looked on my floor mat and there lies broken plastic shit. so im guess thats what my problem is? lol

same thing on my 91 ef...why would honda do that? Its a set up for failure. Just put a small nut and bolt through the hole on your brake pedal. good to go.

I might be crazy, but I think it's a planned failure for safety reasons.

I could explain..

Haha on a .02 piece of plastic...I really hope Honda wouldn't do that. I don't think they're like that though. Good business morals.

I might be crazy, but I think it's a planned failure for safety reasons.

I could explain..

My dad's XJ/9 had a speedometer cable that would break every 60,000 miles, so you'd take it into the dealership to replace it. Well, he decided to save some money, so he just bought a new speedo cable.

He also figured out that when fiat said "replace the timing belt every 60k" they actually ment it. Next thing he replaced was the valvetrain....

yblegal: what do you think the reasoning is? I'm curious on this one. Is that plastic piece on one of the lists of 'things to replace when you do regular service' ?

I've honestly never seen it on any scheduled maintenance list, so no I guess awptickles.

I think it's a sort of safety mechinism so that if the brake pedal were to become out of spec, say the pin between the master cylinder and the booster became loose and extended in some fashon, then the pedal travel would force the pedal to raise higher, and if that stopper was metal, it would always get stopped by the switch, and thus the pedal would not fully disengage the brakes.

So by doing that, it's like definitive "Hey! Something is not normal because there should not be excess pressure on this piece! I must need to re-adjust the brake pedal".

Or, that's how I see it.

That piece also encounters some wear and tear and may save the hassle of replacing the entire switch after so many years instead of a small plastic piece that's taking all the abuse.

Back