Brake lines and rotors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok so i busted up my wheel in a spin out on the Free way. (and didnt tell you guys till just now :( ) But anyways i need a new brake line and was thinking about buying some DOT legal stainless lines or i saw a company nameed russal i think makes some but they didint look to be stainless. Is there really a benifit to me going to a better aftermarket brake line?

I also have a friend that does alot of canyon carving in his STI, i was told i need a brake system that cools more befor i go with him. How can i improve my braking as far as fade limit and tolerance of being heated alot. I dont really need better braking but longer and more reliable braking, with out going out and spending 1.5k on a whole new brae set up. Woould the base model Hawk pads have a better fade limit? or would the race model Hawks be a better choice? Or is there a better choice then Hawk pads? I was thinking just a sloted brembo rotor and some hawk pads with the stainless lines.

I got pictures of the damage if any one knows me or gives a shit about me or my car wants to see. Just been a lil too bumbed to come and say anything.

Give it more than an hour... it IS Friday night.

I would go with Goodridge brake lines. They're pretty good, very well known, and they definitely have a stainless steel braided line set for your car. Goodridge is what I'm using.

If you want to improve your braking without breaking the bank so you can run in the twisties, just get a new set of Brembo blanks and those Hawk HPS pads. Don't bother with the slots or cross drilled rotors. They're never made by Brembo that way, so you're just paying extra for minimum benefit. Swap out your brake lines, then flush and refill the whole system with good DOT4 like Motul RBF600. You should be able to do all that for less than $400.

I'm with E and Cal. SS brake lines just keep your pedal from getting mushy. If you usse the brakes a lot, compressing the brake fluid heats it up, which in turn heats up the lines, and causes the rubber ones to expand. SS won't expand, so your pedal pressure is good. Word to replacing the stockers with brembos and a decent set of pads. Pads are probably the most important part to having good braking.

Other pads to look at other then the hawk are the Cobalt frictions, Axxis ulitments, Project mu, or Endless. I have driven in a freinds car with the hawks HPS, and was not very impressed. Felt better then stock but not as bitey as my Cobalts. For about the same, I decided to go with Cobalts. Andy over there at Cobalt friction was a nice guy and got them to me real quick

As for lines, I am a big fan of the Stoptechs. They are a little bit more (150 a set) but on the outside of the line, there is a teflon coating to keep road debris out from the steel brades.

Back