Brake Lines

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Anyone got dealer time on rear brake line replacement?

I apparently have a cut between the front and rear door (garage COVERED in brake fluid at that exact spot). Pedal is mush and added fresh, pumped the pedal a few times and even more brake fluid on the garage floor.

I dont have jack stands or a non-scissor jack, so buying those would PROBABLY cost me the same as just having the brake lines replaced.

Doubtful- just get a cheap jack and stands. You can usually find a useable jack/stand combo at Sears or something for like $40. Start accumulating tools. :D

Agreed. Although you might want to spend a little more on a quality jack, and decent stands, tools pay for themselves in the long run... So if you are keen on repairing/maintaining your car(s) now and in the future, buying tools is never a bad idea, otherwise, suck it up and pay someone with tools and knowledge to do it for you...

Well when I lived in dallas, this kind of moment is when I'd call Cal or some other car geek friend and buy beer and pizza to pay for the use of jack stands and jack.

I hate not knowing anyone in this god forsaken city.

Harbor frieght has a jack and 2 stands for like 49 bucks last i looked.

isn't the line mid-chassis a hard line though?

no, shouldnt be too bad. an hour tops i bet.

Check around at your local auto parts stores. some of them have tools for rent. If you can get a flaring tool and a cutter you could section the hard line and then splice in a new piece to fix it.

How do you plan on getting the car some where to have the line fixed?

Odd that a hard line, mid body would fracture. I'd be investigating that. May just be a soft line that cracked and the pressure is spraying the fluid that far.

Already called my insurance company. Apparently my coverage and number of claims they're willing to cover a tow for me to have it looked at without deductible.

The insurance is kinda pricey, but it's the little stuff like that that keeps me with the same agent.

As for how it happened, the only thing i can think is the day my brakes were useless I straddled a tire tread. Might have had a metal sidewall that cut the line. Only weird part there is that there was no dent in the plastic shroud over the lines (that I could see). As for spray, it's highly doubtful since when I looked underneath (no jack) there was only fluid right where it was dripping from (bout a 4" diameter spot on the under carriage). I'd think if it was spraying from somewhere else like the balance regulator (no idea if that's the name of the doodad) there would be some other points where the fluid would have to hit the body and drip down.

Last edited:
Back