Brake noise when not on brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
My brakes are making noise. I've got OE Honda Rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

When I put a little pressure on the brakes, the noise gets worse, but a little bit more it goes away completely. When I jiggle the wheel right to left, the noise switches to the direction I'm going towards. No noise when cold, gets progressively worse as everything reaches operating temperature. Speed doesn't matter, low or high it's just as bad, high speed maybe has a higher volume. It was happening before my trip to California (about 6k miles) I figured it'd go away on the trip but it didn't.

Pads are still at well over 50% life, the rotors are decent looking with no pits or gouges, and the calipers are retracting like they should. There are no rocks or anything caught anywhere. The car has 36xxx miles on it.

I've cleaned everything with brake cleaner, chamfered the edges of the pads a little bit, scuffed the rotors with a stainless steel wire brush a bit, and regreased everything with the appropriate greases.

It's rather annoying for me and everyone around me, but the plus side is that deer run away from my car as quickly as they possibly can. lol.

My HPS's did the same thing after I got a few miles on them. This was after I rebuilt everything brake wise with brand new OEM stuff. It's not my DD so I let it go...

I'm going to try resurfacing the pads with sandpaper sometime. If that doesn't work, it's new rotors.

both sets of hawk hps (white car / grey car) make noise constantly. it is what it is.

im using brembo blank rotors, OEM fit on white car and GSX 276mm re-drilled on grey car.

Last edited:
Back